What's new
What's new

Standard Tool Co Chaplin's Patent 4" rule - help identify

JPRI

Aluminum
Anyone else have one of these? I thought it went to a #505 die maker's square, but the groove is not offset. A collector friend of mine said he knows STCo made a 4" combination square after 1900, but this rule has the 1880 patent date, and scribe holes. Thoughts??

Attachments

• P1080414.jpg
    P1080414.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 354
  • P1080415.jpg
    P1080415.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 297
  • P1080416.jpg
    P1080416.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 302
Anyone else have one of these? I thought it went to a #505 die maker's square, but the groove is not offset. A collector friend of mine said he knows STCo made a 4" combination square after 1900, but this rule has the 1880 patent date, and scribe holes. Thoughts??

I think Mr Dodenhoff needs a bigger hammer to go with his letter stamps!

Heavy Stamping = DIstortion

Plus One to Moonlight Machine's thoughtful comment on the excessive depth of the owner's stamping!

Displacing metal like that could possibly throw the edge out-of-true. I'd blue the edges and put them on a surface plate just out of curiosity.

I could sort of understand it if just one letter was 'way too deep - there's no way to take a practice impression and no way to know how hard the scale is before striking the first letter.

I found this in the DATAMP: US Patent: RE9,183 - Combined Square and Bevel

That led me to this: US Patent: 54,53 - Improvement in Combined Square and Bevel

John Ruth

Here's a couple of scans from a reprint of four page STC fold out catalog. It's undated, but I think it is from somewhere between 1892 and 1900 based based on some other dated catalogs I have. The 1892 catalog shows the oldest style combo square and center head like the 6 inch one one on the left in the photo. The 6 inch one on the right is shown in their 1900 catalog and is a copy of the Starrett square and center head.

This four page catalog is the only mention I've seen of a 4 inch combination square. Their complete catalogs don't show them. My four inch version is the only one I know of. The OP's rule shows there was an earlier version of the four inch square.

square1x.jpgsquare2x.jpgsquare3x.jpg

Apolune...Thanks so much for the info. I have an original Athol Machine/STCo dated 1900, and it only shows the 6,9,12. It's awesome to see your complete one. Did it once have the scroll on top like your earlier offset rule one? So now you can say you've seen 1-1/2 of these. Have a spare head by any chance...

I have all three sizes of these, or at least did at one time. I sold a few things over the years. I never realized STC made a 4".

Very nice find.

Back