What's new
What's new

Anybody recognize this "lath"?

Hmmm...

Don't know enough to comment on brand. Not even sure what that lever is being held by the rubber strap. Back gear lever? Pretty sure I know why it needs the strap to hold it there though... Probably something a little beyond "personality." Why do people always mount those ugly modern switches right on top of the headstock like that?

Hope it finds a good home...

-I got the impression the bungee cord was holding the gearcover on, not the lever in place.
Could be. It did occur to me. I think I would have made the minor effort and done something a little more betterer.

Smoothbore said:
Well, ... I do it that way, because when you "hide" them, it's hard to reach them quickly, while the chuck is twisting your other hand off.
Too late... for your hand. You might save your arm though. I try to stay out of spinning stuff, personally. Lots of places left to put switches without hiding them.

"Lumphead" LeBlond lathe. Plain bearings in the headstock. LeBlond used to mount a drum-type reversing switch on top of the headstock on those lathes. I am not sure about the tarp strap (a bit heavier duty than a bungee cord). The gear selector lever has detents to hold it in position. The gear guard (cover) for the quadrant gears is mounted using bolts, not hinged. I can't figure out if the tarp strap is holding the gear guard in place, or holding the high-low speed range lever in position. If the tarp strap is there to hold that gear selector lever in position, it could mean trouble inside the headstock. I'd open the top cover on the headstock and take a look at the gearing, gear shifting parts, and make sure there are no broken teeth or damaged dog clutches. Use a good light and bring a mechanic's inspection mirror (like a dental mirror, auto parts stores sell them). Also bring a mechanic's magnet (on an extending rod). If there is oil in the bottom of the headstock, stick the magnet down into it and see if you fish up any chunks of steel (like busted gear teeth or clutch dog teeth), or get a load of steel filings. That tarp strap should not be there, and it is a bad sign that it is.

LeBlond also had a two-piece cast iron belt guard for the drive belts and pulleys, which neatly encased the motor pulley, headstock input shaft pulley, and the belts. In the photo, it also looks to be missing. That lathe may be a real abused specimen, and may have been mishandled in moving so the belt and gear guard busted (hence the tarp strap), or there may be issues inside the headstock.

FWIW: My own 13" LeBlond "Roundhead" Regal lathe (1943 machine) has a drum switch for foward/off/reverse mounted on the top cover of the headstock in easy reach. This was factory wired, as was a galvanized steel switch/outlet box with it. The switch/outlet box tap the wiring to get 110 volts and the switch controls a factory-installed coolant pump. It is basic industrial wiring of the day, using armored "BX" cable, and it is not "pretty". It is neatly run, and the drum switch is in a handy spot. No complaints about it from me. The seller of the lathe in the ad seems to have cobbed on a modern "light" switch, so may have put a 110 volt motor on the lathe, no reversing switch. The switch box is in the approximate location of the original drum type reversing switch. My guess is the lathe may have had a 3 phase motor on it, and a more recent owner put on a 110 volt motor and got rid of the reversing switch in the process. In changing the motor, the belt guard had to come off. Somewhere along the line, some real high class "mechanic" decided it was a pain (or maybe busted the belt guard trying to use it to work a pulley off one of the shafts.... anything is possible) to put the belt guard back (the inner half goes into place before the motor pulley and headstock drive pulley).

Back