What's new
What's new

Stanley lathes

Glen Vassallo

Plastic
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you have any info regarding Stanley lathes? I am going to try and post one photo and if that works I will post more. Thanks

Hi all, I eas wondering if any of you have any info on Stanley lathes. I will try to post a photo. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170520_193025.jpg
    20170520_193025.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 153
Try the " Tony's lathes " website. He has a wealth of information about machine tools. I'm sure he has a section on " Stanley " lathes. I worked on a few over the years. Nice photo of the badge.

Regards Tyrone.

Thanks Tyrone, but I already tried his website and couldn't find anything!! I will try and post some more photos. Thanks again

Only about a month ago someone in Maine was listing on Craigslist a "Antique Stanley Drill Press."

This was the typical "Washburn Shop" type sensitive drill with the trumpet shaped base, two work tables, one square and lower one round, and the rear mounted three step pulley and right angle drive for the quill.

I have pix of this. "Stanley Manufacturing Company - Lawrence, Mass" it says on a nice cast brass nameplate.

This may be a bit earlier - one imagines no later than the 1920s. But the name and location may open some search engine doors.

Joe in NH

Attachments

• 00I0I_393Os6KYrC2_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_393Os6KYrC2_600x450.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 00q0q_3rdczQprUHl_600x450.jpg
    00q0q_3rdczQprUHl_600x450.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 139
Thanks guys for your replies. I would like to know the year it was made and if parts are available somewhere and if I could obtain a manual. I will post more pictures in the morning. Thanks again for your interest.

More on Stanley Manufacturing Co. Lawrence, MA at George Whitney, Frank F. Stanley, and the OTHER Stanley Steam Car

Seems the Stanley referred was ANOTHER Frank Stanley - not the Stanley of FE and FO fame.

And the Frank Stanley was heavily involved with George Whitney - whom anyone interested in steamboats and steam launches (AND steam cars) should know. Heavily written about in Dick Mitchell's "The Steam Launch," Mr. Whitney being a sort of mentor to Mr. Mitchell. IIRC, Dick dedicates the steam launch book to George Whitney.

51jW43gF%2BpL._SX369_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Small technical world - even smaller in 1900.

Joe in NH

Thats ok Tyrone. Yeah I think Peter S is right. It seems to ne a british lathe. I will post some more photos later. I posted the name tag only because that was my first time posting photos on this site. Thanks again guys.

I thought Stanley merged or were bought by Broadbent? Looking forward to the pics.

Broadbent-Schofield Lathes
http://broadbentstanley.co.uk

Tyrone, have a dream machine pm for you when youve cleared some space :)

A guy I used to work for was thinking of buying a " Broadbent-Stanley " a year or two back. As I understand it most of the work was done in China and they were just badged over here.
My in box is less full now.

Regards Tyrone.

Hello, i moved on a Stanley 10 1/2" a few years ago, then a few months since the books, such as they are , appeared for it. They will find their way to the soggy far north-east of this country next time i go that way but could do some copying for you if they are of use.
The inst. book is generic, from 7"-12 1/2" machines,the parts book lists 10 1/2", 12 1/2",HS10 and HS13 models.
I wonder if the designation HS is just high-speed with different spindle bearings?
I think the drawings are dated 1954?
The GA and detail drawings might be of help but to be honest more use for finding their own part nos than working from, unless you find a specific problem. It seems the scan of GA is too big so i will try and add it later.
Richard

Thanks Demon 73. That looks a whole lot better. Does anyone have any idea of the model and maybe how old it is? Thanks

30's - 40's ? ......., don't know the model

My thoughts;- not a big bore - IME a lot of Stanleys were, looks like a screwed mandrel, short cross slide that wear like mad, .price to pay for it, even if everything works as it should ;- Scrap - cost of transport UNLESS you have a job for it, that makes it worth a certain sum to you.

Back