What's new
What's new

Staples for old Bostitch stapler

magneticanomaly

Titanium
DSCI3705.jpgDSCI3704.jpgI bought a great old heavy-duty stapler at the flea market last year. It happened to have a few staples in it. I actually needed to use it (!), to staple some thick stacks of documents together, and after I made a little hook to reconnect the feed spring to the follower, it worked very well.

But I do not know where to get more of the staples,which are made of flat wire about .025" thick and .050" wide.. They are 1/2" between the legs, which does not appear to be a current Bostitch standard
I have attempted to contact Bostitch (now part of Stanley/Black and Decker),and got no response.

I could perhaps modify it by grinding or milling down the width of the center rail and moving the outboard rails in....and making a new follower..to use 7/16 wide staples........

Anyone know about the varieties of staples that are somebody's standards?

I have a similar stapler which I brought home from one of the office clean-outs/transfers/consolidations (we seem to do a lot of this these days in the USA.) Like yours it is a Bostitch and has the cast, heavy staple holder/head and the extended compound lever. The base is a little different not made to be attached to a bench or extended for booklet stapling like yours. Mine more the standard "Uber Heavy duty desk stapler."

I was able to contact Bostitch and they confirmed that they did not supply staples for mine anymore. But they did indicate that the correct staples were still a standard - and were available "aftermarket" from any industrial supply house.

The best source I've found is McMaster Carr. If you go to McMaster-Carr you'll find a selection chart on the left of page based on size. Page lists as "staples for powered staplers" - but actually that is what heavy duty staples are. You can narrow the search by selecting "Bostitch" and you'll see only the galvanized staples.

I think you'll find what you need there.

Joe in NH

I may be getting a better lead on the Bostitch staples.

I found a stapler (three actually) on Ebay that are similar to mine.

Pix below

$_57.JPG

There are three of these (one very rusty) and in two cases they are reported to have a "Head No. 62" or "Head No. 64" - the only difference between them being the actual size of the stapler channel - and the overall depth of document they can staple.

Googling "Bostitch Head No. 62" I come to Stanley SCCR 25 Staples - 9/16" - Printing Equipment & Supply

Which says:

Product Description

SCCR 25 Staples - 9/16" - 5000 per box. Staples with a crown, made especially for the Stanley Bostitch EHFS Stapler and other staplers with the "62" head. Each box has 5,000 staples. Available in 4 sizes (1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16"). Manufactured in Germany.

Now EHFS staplers come in many sizes/types, both manual and electric - and some of considerable size as in floor mount units for carpeting and large books - but they all seem to share the common staple which is this Stanley SSCR25 staple which currently is available in lengths up to 9/16".

Hope this helps - and it would have nicer to have some product support from Bostitch. They've been around a LONG time and should know better.

Joe in NH

Back