Starrett #56 Surface Gauge Type Study Pics - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turnershells,

Absolutely, it could be old stock! Good spot.

I'm not saying it is or isn't. This situation is precisely what makes Type Studies so difficult and expensive. Until someone has several MIB or a catalog reference it is difficult to know for sure. And, then if that is the way Starrett packaged it with old parts, it is likely that type.

Starrett was a piece work shop and stock piled many parts in wooden boxes for later use. In a tour of the factory I made in the late 1980's I saw parts marked without the "The". Not many and very specialized, but they existed.

I've been waiting for someone to challenge my pick for Type 1 versus 2, saying they should be flip flopped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Auction

Yeah, just three weeks ago I was at an auction preview and had a friend pick up a 196 set in wooden box for me that I think cost about $8. But there were two surface gages, one a type 3 or 4 56 and the other what looked like a homemade job. I didn't like the look of it then, and I already have a relatively nice 56, so I wasn't interested at all. Pretty certain in hindsight the "homemade job" was a type 1 or 2 in slightly rough shape. They both probably went for less than $10. At least these things are still available at really decent prices.

Turnershells

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A mint-in-box Type 1 just sold on eBay to a contributor to this forum. Here are the pictures of it from the sale:

This is the first complete example I have seen of the Type 1. So, it is interesting to me that the box looks substantially the same as the one I show with a Type 3. Unlike the Stanley plane Type Studies started by Roger K Smith which have ancillary box style type studies, no one has done that for machinist tools.

4. Likes SouthBendModel34, SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello everybody, i have a starrett #56 surface gage and looks to be type 3. I have the old style knobs with the older style large style stamp. The stamp faces the flat head screw on the right side. Approx what year is my model? Ill try and get a pic soon. Thanks
    Danny

Ps does anybody have the surface gage guide for this model for sale, id be interested. Thanks [email protected] yahoo.com
    Last edited by dgmoto; 09-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Starrett #56

Hello
    The collector told me there was a thread on Starrett #56 and I was excited to see what every one had to say...and the great pictures. Attached is a picture of my small collection.
    On the oldest unit there is a small addition to the ball, is this something from Starrett or a remake? Any input on this would be great.
    I have been around for a while but this is my first post I am looking forward to more.
    Nice to meet everyone.
    Marc S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2211.jpg   img_2215.jpg   img_2216.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what are the thrue pins for

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They can be pushed through, (they're a close sliding fit) and used to hook on an edge for drawing lines parallel to the edge, circles concentric to an i.d. or o.d. etc. Serve the same purpose as the older style's separate clamp on piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing Karl (AntiqueMac) never did was put dates to these different types. We know it is nearly impossible to get perfect but we might get close.

I would be interested to know when type #1 stopped being produced, when were type #2, #3, and #4 produced?

Also this morning I looked at hundreds of completed sales on eBay, it seems a #4 is about $25, if it is in the box double that. Later # 52s, about $75. So what do you think a type #1 would bring in the market today? Years ago they were many hundreds of dollars, how about now?

Look forward to your thoughts.