What's new
What's new

Starrett 6-12 mic set

jermfab

Cast Iron
A buddy of mine passed these off to me. They’re definitely not in prime shape and it’s not the first gap needing filled in my metrology tools.
f56c78b71c6dac225d681005d8f50347.jpg
8e066180f493ac01e451d74e914afc79.jpg
25f4ae7c62dd90cbb2ac3968b2d93bdd.jpg
094f20b480899e3e6a5865d519aeaab4.jpg
150fe3af1165e21b98a0d01fd1b4ef04.jpg
f818fe8ea066a6858d8fd244e4eaa5ed.jpg
08666e50540ae7cbcfb20f600799f39c.jpg

With a 13” lathe, these aren’t gonna get much use. Without the standards, there’s two busted thimbles and these don’t appear to have carbide anvil faces.
Open discussion mostly, but also wondering if there’s enough value to attempt to sell on for tools that will see more use. Otherwise I’ll make space and they’ll gather dust.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO carbide faces aren't really necessary unless you're running production or are working with a lot of hardened surfaces. And most machinists actually prefer to use micrometers by feel rather than trusting the ratchet (I like having both OTOH).

Check Ebay for the standards. Even if you don't keep the set, it'll be worth more complete.

For most work it seems that your typical 0-6 set covers things, but it just depends on what you're doing. There have been many times that it would have been really nice to have a .001" 8-9" micrometer, but we got by with a 12" dial caliper because that's all we had.

I’ve been around here for some time, lurking mostly, but I’ve been wanting to properly introduce myself.
Hi, I’m Jeremy and compared to most of the fellows that chime in here I’m pretty much a hack. I’m by no means a machinist. I work in the motion picture industry and we make future trash. Our stuff cycles a handful of times, in a couple month period and goes in the bin. Slop is my friend. Tape measure tolerance is fine for 99% of what I do and 12” calipers will do anything else.
I was wondering if it was worthwhile to seek out the standards. Thank you for answering that one. Also wasn’t sure about the carbide faces. It does seem like most of the stuff I use, 1”-4” has carbide faces.

ab400ebfd23d8f335c780a3fece0d4f4.jpg
195e060e26973946f814f12f0acbdae2.jpg

Black powder cannon in an ‘08 BMW 750i.
Cutting the cannon out afterwards. 10 days from car delivery to the scrap heap.

Jeremy

Even if the micrometers need to be calibrated and you don’t have the standards you can still use them to make reasonably close comparative measurements with something of a known size against something like inside callipers ,telescope gage or inside micrometer or to check an outside dimension for a small variation in size between one area of a piece or one part and another one.
If you have room to keep them then when the day comes that you need to make a measurement you will at least have something on hand that may be good enough to help you get a project completed with out a long delay.
If you come across a set in better condition later on at a low cost then you can always sell this one later to recover some of your investment in better tools.
Tools often have a way of turning up at low prices at auctions , estate sales, and flea markets but finding them at that price on the day you need one in a hurry is often a different story .
Regards,
Jim

So eBay came through as it often does. I found a complete set of standards, 6”-11” and now the set is complete.
Now I’m faced even more with the question of keeping this set or selling it on to fill more used/bigger holes in my metrology needs. I’m not putting it in the sale section yet, but will entertain offers for sale or trade. I’m away from the shop until tomorrow, but I’ll post new pictures then.

Jeremy

Back