Starrett 6-12 mic set
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Starrett 6-12 mic set

A buddy of mine passed these off to me. Theyíre definitely not in prime shape and itís not the first gap needing filled in my metrology tools.

With a 13Ē lathe, these arenít gonna get much use. Without the standards, thereís two busted thimbles and these donít appear to have carbide anvil faces.
    Open discussion mostly, but also wondering if thereís enough value to attempt to sell on for tools that will see more use. Otherwise Iíll make space and theyíll gather dust.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO carbide faces aren't really necessary unless you're running production or are working with a lot of hardened surfaces. And most machinists actually prefer to use micrometers by feel rather than trusting the ratchet (I like having both OTOH).

Check Ebay for the standards. Even if you don't keep the set, it'll be worth more complete.

For most work it seems that your typical 0-6 set covers things, but it just depends on what you're doing. There have been many times that it would have been really nice to have a .001" 8-9" micrometer, but we got by with a 12" dial caliper because that's all we had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iíve been around here for some time, lurking mostly, but Iíve been wanting to properly introduce myself.
    Hi, Iím Jeremy and compared to most of the fellows that chime in here Iím pretty much a hack. Iím by no means a machinist. I work in the motion picture industry and we make future trash. Our stuff cycles a handful of times, in a couple month period and goes in the bin. Slop is my friend. Tape measure tolerance is fine for 99% of what I do and 12Ē calipers will do anything else.
    I was wondering if it was worthwhile to seek out the standards. Thank you for answering that one. Also wasnít sure about the carbide faces. It does seem like most of the stuff I use, 1Ē-4Ē has carbide faces.

Black powder cannon in an Ď08 BMW 750i.
    Cutting the cannon out afterwards. 10 days from car delivery to the scrap heap.

Jeremy

4. Likes Cole2534 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Even if the micrometers need to be calibrated and you donít have the standards you can still use them to make reasonably close comparative measurements with something of a known size against something like inside callipers ,telescope gage or inside micrometer or to check an outside dimension for a small variation in size between one area of a piece or one part and another one.
    If you have room to keep them then when the day comes that you need to make a measurement you will at least have something on hand that may be good enough to help you get a project completed with out a long delay.
    If you come across a set in better condition later on at a low cost then you can always sell this one later to recover some of your investment in better tools.
    Tools often have a way of turning up at low prices at auctions , estate sales, and flea markets but finding them at that price on the day you need one in a hurry is often a different story .
    Regards,
    Jim

6. Likes 3512B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So eBay came through as it often does. I found a complete set of standards, 6Ē-11Ē and now the set is complete.
    Now Iím faced even more with the question of keeping this set or selling it on to fill more used/bigger holes in my metrology needs. Iím not putting it in the sale section yet, but will entertain offers for sale or trade. Iím away from the shop until tomorrow, but Iíll post new pictures then.

Jeremy