What's new
What's new

Starrett #95 Level Vial

ClappedOutBport

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I pulled our Starrett #95 level (no, not a #98, yes, I'm sure) out of the drawer, and noticed immediately that the bubble was too big. There is a small crack it it. Bummer. Especially considering it's a covered vial in a wood box. I suspect the vial is no longer available, but it's worth asking the impressive knowledge base here first. If I can't replace it, are there any ideas for fixing it? Even if just a bodge job? Superglue?

Thanks in advance.
COB

attachment.php

Before the crack, bubble normal sized

If I am not mistaken, the glass tube of a level vial has a very slight curvature to it. While the OP might be successful in sealing the crack in the vial to be liquid-tight, I doubt the level will ever be functional.

My suggestion is to measure the diameter and length of the damaged vial and see if it matches the vials used in the Starrett 98 series levels. If it does, a repair done by Starrett might be possible- for what is likely going to be a hefty price.

COB --

The vial of your Starrett would be replaced much like the vial of a Starrett Model 98 level would be replaced. Here's a how-to writeup for the Mod 98 I wrote a number of years ago: Starrett 98-4 Level - Vial Replacement

For a bare vial, the best place that comes to mind is Geiger and Bluhm in Troy, NY. I'd expect that G&B could do the replacement for you if you don't want to do the work yourself.

John

95 series levels and 98 series levels are exactly the same EXCEPT the 98 vials are made to high precision to give measurable accuracy, and of course have the extra lines painted on them so you know how far out your work is. IMO 95 series are some of the best "reference" levels, before you get into measuring how level something is. I don't remember what resolution the 95 was sold as, but 98's are .005 for the length of the level. I have a 6" 95 and I've always considered it good up to .010.

That said, I'm pretty sure Starrett still makes vials for both. I know you can get replacement 98 vials, so you could always upgrade your level. They come already in the metal tube so it's a simple bolt on then calibrate job.

Fellas, sorry for the late reply. Life has been pretty busy for me at this time of year. But rest assured I read your posts and appreciate them.

If I am not mistaken, the glass tube of a level vial has a very slight curvature to it. While the OP might be successful in sealing the crack in the vial to be liquid-tight, I doubt the level will ever be functional.

My suggestion is to measure the diameter and length of the damaged vial and see if it matches the vials used in the Starrett 98 series levels. If it does, a repair done by Starrett might be possible- for what is likely going to be a hefty price.

It's still functional. But it won't be if much more liquid evaporates out. Nothing to lose I guess in trying to seal it.

COB --

The vial of your Starrett would be replaced much like the vial of a Starrett Model 98 level would be replaced. Here's a how-to writeup for the Mod 98 I wrote a number of years ago: Starrett 98-4 Level - Vial Replacement

For a bare vial, the best place that comes to mind is Geiger and Bluhm in Troy, NY. I'd expect that G&B could do the replacement for you if you don't want to do the work yourself.

John

Thank John very much for that write-up. Dad only spent about $50 on the level, so I don't want to spend a small fortune on it. I'll have to do some searching, see if it's worth it to fix. The body is in great shape, just the vial with damage.

95 series levels and 98 series levels are exactly the same EXCEPT the 98 vials are made to high precision to give measurable accuracy, and of course have the extra lines painted on them so you know how far out your work is. IMO 95 series are some of the best "reference" levels, before you get into measuring how level something is. I don't remember what resolution the 95 was sold as, but 98's are .005 for the length of the level. I have a 6" 95 and I've always considered it good up to .010.

That said, I'm pretty sure Starrett still makes vials for both. I know you can get replacement 98 vials, so you could always upgrade your level. They come already in the metal tube so it's a simple bolt on then calibrate job.

Hmm. I never did like this level much due to being so imprecise, but now that I've got the Luftkin 0.0005 above it, I don't need that accuracy. Like you say, it's a good reference level. I'd prefer it more for leveling parts to be cut in machines (that's actually what I pulled it out the other day to use it for), but a 12" isn't very useful for that. I'd rather like a 4" for that work. The 98 vial would be better for leveling machines, but worse for reference. I'll have to think on it. Thanks!

Back