What's new
What's new

Starrett Metal-Cutting Machine No. 950

Peter S

Diamond
I came across this advert in a 1921 British catalogue, I did not know Starrett offered power saws.

It has some interesting features, e.g. the shaper-type drive giving quick-return on the non-cutting stroke.

There is an oil damper to control the lowering of the saw, and it seems like the "Automatic Locking Device" prevents the blade from dragging on the return stroke. Not sure how.

A treadle to lift the saw frame.

Starrett power saw 1921 01.jpg Starrett power saw 1921 02.jpg Starrett power saw 1921 03.jpg

Years ago, I came across a Starrett power hack saw at a welding shop that was going out of business. I think it was selling for $200 and I didn't have the cash with me but said I would buy it and come the next day with the money and to pick it up. In the meantime I called Starrett to ask them about it and was told that they only knew of one other which was in their collection. I did return the next day with the cash but it had been sold to one of the owners friends. I don't recall if it looked like that saw but do remember it had a great antique look to it. Today I carry some cash with me in the event I stumble across something good.

Interesting to see the power hacksaw. At some time, they also made a bandsaw - not sure if it was a vertical or horizontal. This according to my father in law, who worked there for sixty years.

John

I had a look through a few of my Starrett catalogs for item "950". Pulling out 5 older catalogs and looking in the item number index in each, there was nothing listed for #950. These 5 catalogs were
#13 (1895)
#19 (date uncertain)
#23 (1924)
#26 (1938)
#26A (1953)

I also looked in the following two much newer Starrett catalogs:
#125 (numbered for LSS's 125th anniversary)
#130 (2002)
In each of these two, there is an item #950, but it is for "Finished wood case for 9" dial calipers".

Since the op references a 1921 British catalog, is it possible that Starrett used different item numbers in non-US countries? Or could powered machines, not being "tools" in the old sense, have found their way into another series of Starrett catalogs? Other explanations are possible.

-Marty-

Back