What's new
What's new

Starrett surface gauge and Tollner gauge.

Lester Bowman

Hot Rolled
I picked up a couple of unusual tools this weekend and I'm hoping someone may shed some light on them.The surface gauge is a Starrett with a micrometer type adjustment on the post.It is machined and polished all over.I have heard it referred to as a number 53.Any info?
The second is a Tollner gauge maybe for sheet metal? It had a sliding type jaw caliper designed as part of the gauge.The numbers are all hand stamped.I googled it but didn't find much.I'll appreciate all insight! Thank you.

Attachments

• 100_0630.jpg
    100_0630.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 100_0629.jpg
    100_0629.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 564
  • 100_0627.jpg
    100_0627.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 695
The # 53 looks like a nice one in the small size. See about any pre 1920 catalog for a page on it. The Tollner gauge I have not seen before..... is it English or American? Partridge in the UK made a sort of similar gauge only in that it had a sliding jaw and wire gauge slots. If you get bored with it I wouldn't mind trading or buying it.

What Rivett said!

Could you provide some close-up pics of the Tollner gauge showing both sides? I too have not seen it. Time to do some research. But, I'm "guessing" it is European. I hope I'm wrong.

:cheers:

Here are a couple more pictures of the "Tollner" gauge.The first letter is so lightly stamped it's hard to tell but "T" seems to fit.The various bits and pieces are stamped with a #19...not sure what this indicates.How can one tell if it's English? It has the round rope style knurling on the knob.Numbers are all early style.I cleaned the body a bit with some 4 ought steel wool to help the numbers to stand out a bit.

Attachments

• 000_0007.jpg
    000_0007.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 236
Lester,

Thank you for the pictures.

The only reference I have found so far may or may not be the same maker. But, here it is from the Davistown Museum:

"Item 3405T5, Wire Gage 3" diameter signed C. Tollner Warrented (SIC) Steel Charles Tollner is listed as a Bower, NY planemaker and hardware dealer working from 1851 - 1861. He later became a partner of the famous Albert Hammacher, the New York City hardware dealer (1864-1884)"

Essentially the same information is found in EAIA's DAT where it also lists Tollner & Hammacher (ca. 1863) and mentions that Tollner marked some of his tools earlier before the union with Hammacher.

FYI, the Hammacher is Albert Hammacher of later Hammacher & Schlemmer (ca. 1885+) hardware fame.

Neat find and thanks for sharing.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks very much for this research on the "Tollner" gauge.It is almost impossible to find information on such obscure names...Much of the early history is lost.Sadly often the only remnants of a mans life is the odd piece we find here and there.Strange the gauge ended up on the West Coast.Perhaps it made its way on some long forgotten covered wagon wrapped carefully in a piece of oily cloth.
My brother was with me when I found it amongst a table filled with other old tools.Why are you buying that? You don't need it! I had to patiently explain a person doesn't always have to "need" something to justify buying it...he just shook his head! Lol! The sickness indeed! Thanks again.I appreciate the insights.

I'm not sure how many machinist's tools headed out west in covered wagons..... I think a lot of the old stuff (or shall I say the little bit of old stuff that is in Ca.) machinist's took out there when they went to work in the aircraft and other new industries. A tool made in the 1870's might be handed down or bought by some guys in the shop and ended up in a tool chest by it's 3 rd or 4th generation owner who took it west in the 20's.

Either way it is cool and thank you for the extra pictures....... and you could tell your brother you could sell it (to me!) at a profit..... bet he could understand that?

Charles Tollner tools / Tollner & Hammacher

Hi Lester
I just found your post on Charles Tollner, my great great grandfather. I am the Tollner Family Historian/ Geneaologist. There is alot to his story. He befriended Joseph Steinway (Steinway Piano) the Dennison family (Dennison Office products) FW Woolworth (Woolworths) R H Macy (Macy's) the Montgomery Wards owners and a few well known historically interesting others. He held many patents. His company at 209 Bowery, in New York was known for its quality tools. The company provided tools, steel works and much more for the UNION Army in the Civil War. He was the partner of A. Hammacher before he sold his share to Schlemmer. Many of his tools exist today for their fine quality, craftmanship and just plain usefulness. If you need more information, please contact me at [email protected]

I believe via my "research" your tool is c.1859 - October 1864

Thanks very much for this research on the "Tollner" gauge.It is almost impossible to find information on such obscure names...Much of the early history is lost.Sadly often the only remnants of a mans life is the odd piece we find here and there.Strange the gauge ended up on the West Coast.Perhaps it made its way on some long forgotten covered wagon wrapped carefully in a piece of oily cloth.
My brother was with me when I found it amongst a table filled with other old tools.Why are you buying that? You don't need it! I had to patiently explain a person doesn't always have to "need" something to justify buying it...he just shook his head! Lol! The sickness indeed! Thanks again.I appreciate the insights.

Here is an update, this gauge ended up in my collection years ago, thank you. I was thinking of posting it on my Instagram and started researching it a bit more. The family home of Charles Tollner in Brooklyn be came a restaurant in 1879 and lasted to 2004. Gage & Tollner was quite an iconic place and was in the process of being reopened in the Spring of 2020 when Corona intervened. Also this toolmaker was also involved with the famous tool and hardware dealer
Hammacher Schlemmer.

Gage and Tollner - Wikipedia

Back