What's new
What's new

Starrett tool valuation assistance?

west_man_Canada

Plastic
Hello from Toronto

I have "inherited" a collection of various professional machinist tools (I can legitimize their origin to me).

I've attached a few photos indicative of the kind of things in the collection.

I am an engineer and know the basic functions of these tools (and how much they likely cost new).
What I need to know is if there is any market for these things either here or on eBay etc?

I am particularly interested to know if the cutting tools (which may be "job specific") are likely to be of any use to people or if everyone makes their own?

The Starrett tools have the one-time owners engraved on them (which I understand this is / was quite common) - does this effect their value or is standard in used tools of this type?

All comments / guidance welcome.

Starrett 236 HA .jpgStarret 445B 6RL.jpgStarret 436 2in.jpgCutters.jpgStarret 436 3in.jpg

I think Ebay is your best bet for getting a value. Go and look at completed listings.

Your thinking is correct on the cutting tools. There's no real value there. The starrett items do have real value, if you google the No.xxx on the starrett tag (Ex. No. 436) you will get to see the new value of these items which will give you an idea of what they may go for on the used market. As far as the original owner engraving his name on them, that does decrease the value obviously but most machinist aren't collectors. Most of my tools have someone else's name etched into them but to me that just means I got them for much less than the poor sap that bought them new, I'm a very Practical Machinist.

As an aside now may not be the best time to list them. With the econ in the toilet lots of shops are closing and auctioning off their assets so it's a real buyers market. To add insult to injury though, with unemployment as it currently is buyers may be hard to locate.

If there is enough cutting tools they do have value. Last month I sold a bunch of lots on ebay, maybe 20 to 40 in a lot, they brought between $20 and $60 per lot.

Your thinking is correct on the cutting tools. There's no real value there. The starrett items do have real value, if you google the No.xxx on the starrett tag (Ex. No. 436) you will get to see the new value of these items which will give you an idea of what they may go for on the used market. As far as the original owner engraving his name on them, that does decrease the value obviously but most machinist aren't collectors. Most of my tools have someone else's name etched into them but to me that just means I got them for much less than the poor sap that bought them new, I'm a very Practical Machinist.

As an aside now may not be the best time to list them. With the econ in the toilet lots of shops are closing and auctioning off their assets so it's a real buyers market. To add insult to injury though, with unemployment as it currently is buyers may be hard to locate.

Yea I agree with you totally. It is definitely a buyers market. I just got my SB Heavy 10 for free. They just wanted it gone.

Thanks folks - its now clear the cutting tools are probably not worth selling.
As for the Starretts I can find spot prices - I'm more just interested to know if people even want used Starrett instruments or if they would rather buy other lower cost brands new...

No, people want used starrett. When I speak to young guys starting out I always recommend buying used to start out. Old quality tools are still much better than cheap and new.

I’d give some (but small) money for the cutters.

PM if you want to sell and we could take it to email.

L7

You are not suposed to sell here untill you have posted a number of times..
But perhaps you might offer the lot for $100 and see if any takers.

The micrometer may be what we called lathe micrometers , one not having carbide contacts.
Depth micrometer should be shown with all spindles if having more that just tha one.

Im not iterested

I could be wrong, but that mike looks like one I bought from a mentor’s estate. He bought it used in the 1950’s and said it was pre carbide. When did Starrett and Mitutoyo start using carbide wear faces?

Given the origin I would say these tools could date from anytime between 1940 and 1980.
One thing I can say is that none of them have been dropped as the owner always said that a dropped tool is a scrapped tool...
Not trying to sell here - just trying to understand IF they can be sold - which it seems they can.

Back