What's new
What's new

Starrett - Vintage Calipers & Dividers

hosspapa

Plastic
I have a small (novice) collection of calipers and dividers. Trying to date them and understand their potential value.

Starrett_001: Inside Caliper. Marked The L.S.Starrett Co. / Athol, Mass. U.S.A. Made in USA
Starrett_001.jpg

Starrett_002: Divider. Marked The L.S.Starrett Co. / Athol, Mass. U.S.A. Made in USA
Starrett_002.jpg

Starrett_003: Divider. Marked Starrett Athol, Mass. U.S.A.
Starrett_003.jpg

Starrett_004: Outside Caliper. Marked Starrett.
Starrett_004.jpg

The last two are marked Starrett, which I assume predates those marked The L.S.Starrett Co. ???

I've reviewed some of the vintage catalogs but am hoping an experienced Starrett collector might be able to provide some guidance.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Attachments

• Mass_Tool_001.jpg
    Mass_Tool_001.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 329
Starrett calipers & dividers are so plentiful that it is hard to put any value on them. As far as I can tell not much has changed over the years save for the markings. I always say they are worth what you can get someone to pay for them.

I would imagine that most of us have a similar collection in our tool boxes. I had the " Moore & Wright " equivalents along with a few " Starrett " models until I sold them on eBay for about £5.00 an item. You may be able to get a similar amount for those.

Regards Tyrone.

what vintage, 1930? 2019? afaik I know all the Starrett's are still sold. imo value is typically some percentage of what they are new, depending on condution 5-20%?? They're not as core to the tool box as they once were, so I doubt that percentage is a high as is for say small hole gauges or whatever...unless there is something outstanding that makes it a rare antique, condition drives their price not age

Starrett makes the same type or model of many things for the last 50 to 100 years. many things can be 1 or 100 years old.
manual layout is still done but not as much as before. with CNC or even manual machines with DRO or digital readout of position its often not needed to manually layout as much as before. many saws, ironworkers, shears have readouts and stops to help set lengths or positions. a Bridgeport turret knee mill with digital readout basically can be used as a drill press but digital readouts saves having to layout hole locations
old days sheetmetal ducts were hand layout and hand cut, nowadays a cnc plasma, laser, waterjet can cut and often no layout at all is need or very little. and part is made much faster and cheaper too
for example a marking gage with 1/16" ruler you often can replace with a $20 digital caliper that will read .001", .01mm or 1/64" and caliper might actually not be more expensive but cheaper in cost and replace a divider for many things

There were three versions of Starrett’s spring-type calipers and dividers, the “Fay”, the “Yankee” and the Toolmakers’. They still make the “Yankee” and the Toolmakers’, albeit in a more limited range of sizes than was once the case.

The calipers and dividers you show as 001, 002 and 003 are of the “Yankee” pattern. The outside caliper (004) is of the Toolmakers’ pattern, note that its legs are of round cross-section compared to the “Yankee” pattern being made from flat stock. In general over the years Starrett has simplified how they mark their tools so “The L.S. Starrett Co.” would predate “Starrett” on your particular tools. I don’t have dates for when these changes were made. I have a Toolmakers’ inside caliper I bought new in the late 1970’s that’s marked “The L.S. Starrett Co. Athol Mass U.S.A.” and a Toolmakers’ outside caliper bought new early this year that is marked simply “Starrett”; this marking looks quite like what you show on your Toolmakers’ caliper.

Your “Yankee” pattern instruments show solid adjusting nuts with what I call a “ropish” knurl (not sure it qualifies as a true “rope” knurl). At some point Starrett changed this to a diamond knurl. My Starrett catalogue 29, copyright 1993 shows a diamond knurl on the solid nut for these while the 3rd ed., catalogue 28, also copyright 1993, shows a “ropish” knurl. My caveat here is that this edition of catalogue 28 looks like it’s still using the illustrations that are in catalogue 27 so at least some of the illustrations in it may have been out of date by 1993 (are we all following this?)

Per an article by E.F. Markham in “American Machinist”, October 2, 1902 (retrieved on line): Charles Fay designed the “Fay” and then the “Yankee” pattern calipers and dividers in the mid 1880’s, the "Yankee" pattern costing less. The "Fay" pattern instruments were made by starting with square stock so required more forming. In particular Fay patented the now familiar arrangement of a partially circular spring holding the two legs with notches securely to a fulcrum pin. BUT if you look at the original patent drawing (patent no. 319,215), instead of both legs being notched with a separate fulcrum pin, one leg is notched and the fulcrum as it were is formed as a projection on the inside of the opposite leg. Probably didn’t take long to realize that notching both legs and using a separate fulcrum pin was an improvement. In 1887 Fay went to work for Starrett to supervise the production of the “Fay” and “Yankee” line there.

From Kenneth Cope’s Makers of American Machinist’s Tools, Astragal Press, 1994, it looks like the Toolmakers’ pattern of calipers and dividers came out in 1909.

David

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to provide the detailed information.

As I'm not a machinist who will use these tools - my interest in these calipers is from a historical perspective. I like the designs. I like to learn more about the companies that produced them (as many have interesting histories and represent a very vibrant time in America). And if I'm lucky I get to learn something about the person who used the tools.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome.

To give a rough idea of when the "Fay" pattern dividers and calipers were discontinued, they are shown in Starrett's No. 32 catalogue dated 2010; they are not in their No. 33 catalogue, © 2014.

At Knight Foundry here, which dates from the early 1870's, we have in the machine shop a 6 inch "Yankee" outside caliper marked with the initials "HN". These may very well have belonged to Herman Nelson who owned Knight Foundry from 1956 until his death in 1970. I like to show people on tours this caliper along with one bought new a year or so ago. Main difference is the knurling on the adjustment nut, but Starrett still makes these after 130+ years.

David

Back