What's new
What's new

Starting Union Chest Restore

Dabard

Plastic
I am so glad to have found this forum! Looking for guidance and input as I want to do this restore properly. What I lack in experience I make up for with a desire to do this right.

Here's the back story: A year ago, after my hoarding father-in-law passed away, we discovered the chest amidst his packed out 3-car garage (and 2 storage lockers). I didn't know what it was, but it looked neat, and I grabbed it so it didn't go to the auction house or the junk yard. It was completely stocked with a variety of calipers and other tools that I don't recognize! Now I know it likely belonged to my wife's grandfather, who was an engineer in Maryland in pre-WWII. My wife would like it restored as an heirloom, and I'm ready to start the task.

The handle has no leather remaining. I'm concerned about that as I have no experience with leather. The front panel is missing, although I did find the lock and keys in one of the drawers. I'd like to have that remade, but I can't find good pictures of what it should look like on the inside. The one pull that is missing I also found in one of the drawers, along with the 3 small nails! The felt in the drawers is intact, but a little on the gnarly side. It should probably be replaced. The entire box is dirty, but the wood is in very good shape. I'd like the box to look nice for its age, not new.

I'm including some pictures. If I interpret correctly, the box was made in Rochester, NY. If the stamp on the inside means what I think it does, the box may have been made in 1931 when the company was falling on hard times and was soon to be sold.

I would love any and all input from those of you who have experience with restoring boxes like this. Many thanks!!!

Union Chest Front.jpgUnion Chest Inside Stamp.jpgUnion Chest Inside Number.jpgUnion Chest Logo.jpg

As they say, it is only original once. Not everything needs to be restored. Sometimes cleaning and preserving are better. It took her father lots of time to get it looking that way. If you restore it then it is just another restored chest. Just my opinion.

Yes, you found one of the best forums on the web for machinist related items. It’s great that you have a desire to ‘properly’ restore the chest. You’re lucky that the grandfather had taken off the cylinder lock and key before the front panel was lost. You may be able to find another period correct front panel without a lock.
Your case is a ‘Union Tool Chest Co.’, Rochester, NY, Style F, manufactured in 1918 – 1926. Here’s what the rubber stampings mean, 1?31 = the final assembly number, FQtd = Style F, Quartered Oak.
The information you’re seeking is available on the web. I suggest you start by visiting this site - 'The' Guide for Wooden Machinist Tool Chests, pre-1960 Pg 20a covers Union Cases, Pg 20g covers Union companies history and Pg 95 lists the various URL’s available for your restoration project and Terry Rushbrook, who has restored over 200 machinist tool chests and cases, MAY have an extra front panel to sell.
Hope this helps and welcome to the hobby…..Ted

Since you're likely to be displaying the tool chest, the front panel is not needed. I would give the chest a good cleaning and application of Briwax. The Briwax will restore some of the luster and add protection while not removing the patina. The reason the tool chest is special is that it was *used* by a family member. It would be my recommendation to leave it in the state that it was found, sans a cleanup and minimal work to protect it as it is.

At risk of repeating the above... It is only original once and once restored it is the same as every other restored Union tool chest.

In addition, should you choose to restore it, kudos to you for taking the time/thought to do it properly. That doesn't change my opinion of course. ;)

Last edited:
In my first post I failed to consider the decal nameplate on your Union case. Your decal was used in 1918 - 1920. Congrats, it's 100 years old or more......Ted

Thank you much for the input! Good point on the lock. I'm limiting the preservation of this piece to a cleaning, some touch up where the scrapes are down to the wood, and then some sort of wax/finish to give it some protection. I also want to replace/repair the handle. The cover is now an option. My wife then wants to use it for some of her crafting supplies. Again, thank your for the information!

I should not have used the word, restoration. It will be cleaned, touched up, repaired a little, and have some sort of wax/finish put on to protect it. It will then play host to some of my wife's crafting supplies. Which does leave me figuring out what to do with all of the tools that came with the chest...
Thank you for your input!

I went over my Union chest with a product that I learned of on here (forget the name) easy, one step stain that evened up the finish very nicely. Very painless way to get the color evened up, while not disturbing the patina. Most of the finish was very respectable, with just some wear through in places.
Unless it is a basket case, I would let it ride, maybe putting some new felt in it.

I should not have used the word, restoration. It will be cleaned, touched up, repaired a little, and have some sort of wax/finish put on to protect it. It will then play host to some of my wife's crafting supplies. Which does leave me figuring out what to do with all of the tools that came with the chest...
Thank you for your input!

They make Briwax with colors as well to help with faded/scratched finishes. I'll try to post a link here but if that doesn't work just Google Briwax

Briwax International Inc - Furniture Wax, Polish, & Restoration Products

Back