What's new
What's new

What is it, Wagon Wheel wrench??

Froneck

Titanium
Among stuff in my shop I found the item in the photo. What is it? Not sure how it was made but could have been from flat plate and rough cut on band saw. Long handle is radiused both top and bottom with center holes at both ends. So handle looks as if it was turned between centers though the center holes don't look like made with modern center drill. (no hole at end but if there is a hole it's very small)
Overall length is about 18", Handle 1" X 3/4", wrench section material 3/4" X 3/4", wrench opening 1-3/4" wide X 2.5" deep if it is a Wagon wheel wrench. Old shop project? No name or marking of any kind can be found.

CIMG2046.jpg

CIMG2047.jpg

There are wrenches like that that were made for use with old-time square pipe dies. Could be for that, could be for any of several dozen other possible specific uses.

The shape brings scrolling iron to mind.
However, the fairly precise shape and the relatively sharp edges around the working end make me wonder about that. It looks like it was made to a particular specification.

Got any idea where it came from or what was done at its original home?

Got any idea where it came from or what was done at its original home?[/QUOTE]

I haven't a clue where it came from, have a milk crate of stuff my father had but can't be sure it was with it. Wouldn't have been something my father made or used, he was a tool ad die machinist. The opening looks as if never used, no marking or wear marks visible, surface is quite rusty but old rust. Had to be in my shop for 20 years so rust wasn't possible except some minor surface rust. Guess I'll spray paint it flat black and hang in on my office wall. Though I'll be asked what is it.

It doesn't make sense as a cooperage or boat tool. The square edges would quickly mar wood. Not cool.

The same thing would happen with any iron scrolling work. The edges would normally be radiused. the mouth would not be that wide.

The joist or stud wrenches I've made and used have a mouth in plane with the handle. With handle perpendicular mouth like that, it would make it impractical if not impossible to use in many situations.

My vote is that it's either a wrench for square nuts or fittings that don't require much torque or for slotted nuts.

Being it has a large hole in the handle I'm wondering if it was used to hang something. Simply put the opening on a support of some kind, run a rope thru the hole in the "handle"

Back