What's new
What's new

steam powered generator ?

scotty606

Plastic
Hi All i have recently taken over the old Westinghouse factory in Hamilton ontario . i managed to save the original steam powered generator from the boiler house and now have it mounted on a pedestal in the courtyard of our headquarters . we would like to put a commemorative plaque on it to honour the former employees . any information on the unit would be greatly appreciated. The plate on the side reads INGERSOLL-RAND CoLIMITED SHERBROOKE QUE.
20190618_123615.jpg20190618_123615.jpg

20190619_075926.jpg20190619_075940.jpg20190619_075955.jpg

That looks more like a motor-driven compressor. I am curious about the snout off to the side of the crankcase covered by a blind flange. Was there a reciprocating engine cylinder attached there?

I believe that it is actually an air compressor driven by a synchronous motor, not a steam powered generator. We had one at a plant where I used to work. The motor was relatively slow speed, direct coupled, and the compressor ran for decades going woosh, woosh. My late father worked for the successor company, Dresser Rand. They might be able to give you more information.

rklopp types faster.

Here's a horizontal: YouTube

There may be a missing piston assembly for a 2 stage compressor where the blank is installed. You'd want the second stage at 90 degrees to the first, as the compression heads were double acting.

Last edited:
A synchronous motor/air compressor was common in factories years ago and may still be today. The motor is excited into a leading power factor to offset the lagging power factor of the factory and got compressed air at the same time. Win-win.

Tom

Nice to see that you have saved something from the plant .
There is a link about Canadian Ingersoll Rand in post # 25 of this thread.
Sternwheelers in BC

Other links in posts # 4 & 21 in this thread
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...sor-280340/?highlight=Canadian+Ingersoll+Rand

I don’t remember seeing much about the generators .
I had hoped to do some more research but haven’t been able to so far.
Perhaps if you contact someone at the Townships heritage site they may be able to connect you to someone who may be able to add something .
News | Townships Heritage WebMagazine
This link was in one of my earlier posts in the links above.
On seeing the two previous posts that weren’t there when i first looked.
I’ll Check my book that I posed photos from in post # 17 of this thread
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...sor-280340/?highlight=Canadian+Ingersoll+Rand
and see if it there is anything similar .
Have you checked with the folks here?
Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology National Historic Site | City of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I understand they have a lot of material in their archives.
There may be more info. about the Westinghouse plant in some of the old magazines on archive.org .
I can’t recall any off hand that I have seen but knowing the year the plant was built might narrow the field to search for something.
Canadian Westinghouse Catalogue here
https://archive.org/details/westinghouseauto00westuoft/page/n1
Search link
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Canadian+Westinghouse&page=2

Regards,
Jim

What you are seeing is a two-stage air compressor. The horizontal cylinder is missing. The motor is an open-frame synchronous motor, probably turning at something like 300 rpm.

There are many similarities between a slow-speed recip compressor and a steam engine, but there is no mistaking what you have post the photo of: it is an air compressor.

The motor, on the other hand, could be used as a generator. In fact, people have taken slow speed synchronous motors and re-purposed them for use as generators.

Last week, I was at the Mack Brothers Boiler & Sheet Iron Works (see the thread on the 'board about their shop). Jim Hueber, the president of the company, started up a large single cylinder Chicago Pneumatic compressor for us. It dated to 1943 and was belt driven by a higher speed motor. As we looked around the back corner of the boiler shop, I saw what at first glance really looked like a steam engine. It was the original air compressor, also electric motor driven. This older compressor had a mainframe very much like many stationary steam engines used, and the crosshead, connecting rod, and wrist pin all followed steam engine design practice.

The old recip compressors just run along, and are fairly quiet machines. When I worked at the old Rheingold Brewery, in Brooklyn, NY in 1970, they had a number of ammonia compressors with the open synchronous motors. These were vertical compressors built by Vilter or York, and stood somewhere around 15 feet high. The synchronous motors ran at maybe 300 rpm, and the whole compressor room was not overly noisy with the compressors on line.

Once rotary screw type air compressors came on the scene, the use of recip compressors, particularly large ones such as in the posted photos, was doomed. A high speed motor coupled to a rotary screw compressor could produce as much or more compressed air volume (expressed in cubic feet per minute or cfm) in a space that was a fraction of the space occupied by a recip compressor of equivalent rating. A big recip compressor required an extensive foundation to absorb the dynamic impacts from the reciprocating mass, and it required quite a bit more work to erect and service it. A rotary screw compressor is a packaged unit, comes in on its own skid, motor coupled to the air end, unloader system, control box, aftercooler and air/oil separator filter all piped up and ready to go. Make the electrical connections, connect the compressor discharge to the plant air system, and maybe connect cooling water lines for the aftercooler and oil cooler- usually smaller diameter pipe. A rotary screw compressor of 600 cfm, driven by a high speed electric motor comes as a complete skid mounted unit that can sit on a solid floor and go right to work.

A 600 cfm recip compressor is something in the neighborhood of what is in the photos posted in this thread. In the early 1970's, when I began my career as a mechanical engineer on powerplant work, recip compressors of the type shown in the photos posed in this thread were being installed in new powerplants. There would be several such compressors, albeit a bit smaller but of the same type, to make "service air". This was compressed air to run soot blowers, provide atomizing air for the burners during cold startup, work valve actuators, and run air tools for plant maintenance. The service air compressors usually had mechanical lubricators such as McCord or Madison-Kipp multiple feed units. These provided cylinder lubrication, and air compressor cylinder oil had to be kept in stock in addition to the regular lube oil. A "cyclone" type separator was in line on the compressor discharge to try to knock out the cylinder oil and any condensation. Still, some got downstream.
A separate set of the same type of slow speed recip compressors, smaller yet, made "instrument air". These usually had Teflon piston rings by the 1970s. Instrument air had to be oil free and moisture free, so there were usually dessicant driers in this system. Instrument air went to the various control systems such as air operated modulating valves and the two competing manufacturers of air-operated boiler controls: Hagan or Bailey.

In many industrial and powerplants nowadays, it is almost unheard of to find a big recip compressor still in use. To add to the reasons for the demise of these compressors, the old-line compressor builders have merged, globalized, and support for these older recip compressors by the manufacturers (or their successors) is sketchy at best. We recently bought about a 150 cfm Joy rotary screw compressor driven by an International Harvester gasoline engine. It had low hours on it, a tow-behind unit. We paid 650 bucks for a good running unit. In contacting Joy, I discovered Joy is now part of Sullair, and Sullair's answer about a manual for our compressor was: "We no longer support it, buy a current model..." Imagine trying to get parts and support from an OEM on a really old recip compressor. There are aftermarket compressor parts suppliers, but this is mainly for the more widely used recips in the gas pipeline industry. Typically, when an older slow speed recip compressor breaks down nowadays, it is the end for it. It is often less costly to put in a new packaged rotary screw compressor than to repair the old slow speed recip compressor. The rotary screw compressors do scream- speaking from experience as we had them in the powerhouse I retired from. A slow speed recip has a friendly sound and just "perks along". Very different animal for sure.

Sullair are about exchange assemblies for megadollars......the manuals just show unit assemblies,the only operator replaceable bits are hoses,and engine parts...You cannot buy parts for a Sullair screw air end.Just the whole unit......actually,they dont even want operators changing the oil.You must buy a maintenance package.

Here s an 1910 Canadian Ingersoll Rand Catalogue but I don’t see any similar compressors t.
Ingersoll-Rand Products : Form No. 9007 : August, 1910 : Ingersoll-Rand Co. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I took a look at some of the pages from the various Sherbrooke and Eastern Townships History sites.
Les secteurs d’activites | Tous a vos machines
Histoire Sherbrooke site
SHS
Most of the descriptions are in French and if you want larger photos you have to buy them ,
You will have to type in Rand for the search ( RECHERCHE ) since I can't get the link to the search to save properly

Also Search for Compresseur and choose Images

Here is a photo with a similar looking compressor with 3 others in the background installed in the Chrysler Corp . outside of the region ( Sherbrooke ) Perhaps in Windsor Ontario ?
QUATRE COMPRESSEURS XVHE-2 INSTALLES A LA CHRYSLER CORPORATION : UN 19 1/2 ET 12 X 10 ET TROIS 17 ET 10 1/2 X 10
LIEUX: HORS REGION
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=22512

http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=17164

P.S. Here are some more links that will stick
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=19371&pic=19
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=19371&pic=21
click on the smaller images to enlarge them
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=21411
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=22480

Rotary Compressor patterns and castings.
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=22499

About a year ago I picked up a 1967 Gardner Denver 150 cfm "Rotoscrew" towable compressor. After working on a similar vintage compressor that had gone through a flood and a few years of non use before the flood. I can attest to JM comments on parts, even manuals. If you are lucky you may find NOS separator filter for an old machine. I did not. Found one close and think it will work but was for a different brand compressor. Any hard parts you will need a donor compressor. If I sound like a broken record about parts for these old recips it is I am trying to save someone the headaches. Takes a detective or some obscure shop that may have parts for these old machines. In both cases on my old Gardner Denver projects I had to build my own filters which is not really that hard to do, but this was after spending literally days on line trying to find one I could use or make fit. Cross referenced filters for 50 yr old recips normally don't go back that far. You almost need to find someone with the same model and see if they can help. A few months ago that fella from TX had a old recip he was trying to save. Wished he had kept at it as it sounded doable?

I can only imagine trying to get parts for an older upright compressor that the OP shared. Unless some industry saved some parts for a machine they once used, I would think next to impossible. Although a talented mechanic can often over come a lot of things.

I just found the first example of a sister compressor for my own GD towable and checked it out. The continental 6 cyl runs pretty good and that 52 yr old compressor was well taken care of and kept indoors. Made nice clean air. At auction in a few days. So do I buy it and have two albatross compressors? If it went cheap I would but my guess it will go higher than I am willing to pay. I made my mistake buying the one I did and continuing down that road may or may not be smart. The one up for auction is complete and original where mine was remotored with a Ford 6 cyl and a homemade oil cooler. Sorry to ramble on so about these old compressors, just trying to warn people that the path is uphill if not in good running condition from the get go. Trying to save these is not much different from pulling a 1920 lathe out of a scrap yard and trying to save it. All you need is money, determination and a lot of luck and good fortune finding what your going to need if your needing hard parts. Valves, filters you can usually get around and make something else work. Would really like to know more about the compressor the OP shared.

After following a link to a new post on the Old Time Trains site about a new Light Rail Transit Facility was to be built at the site of the former Westinghouse Engineering Offices.

Old Time Trains

I thought I had remembered that there was something posted on this forum about the Westinghouse Plant
A forum search turned up this thread and I found some links that I had saved a while ago about it so even though the thread is old and there was no further input from the O.P. I thought I would share the links now.
Westinghouse building restored to former glory, then some
Hamilton office building, closed 30 years,
Westinghouse building restored to former glory, then some | TheSpec.com
The powerhouse that once was Westinghouse
The powerhouse that once was Westinghouse | TheSpec.com
Looking back: Plant tours
Looking back: Plant tours
I did a little searching and I managed to find the article mentioned in the link above
Canadian machinery and metalworking (January-December 1905) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Other volumes can be found here.
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Canadian Machinery
Here is a list of material about Westinghouse Canada that is held by Hamilton's McMaster University
https://library.mcmaster.ca/archives/w/westhse.1.htm
If you scroll down at the link below there is a picture of Reactor fuelling tube manufacturing, Westinghouse Canada 1984.
http://artofindustry.ca/blog/
Regards,
Jim

Well the OP has not been back, I hope the news that it is a compressor instead of a steam generator does not kill the plans for a display. The big question now is did they scrap the steam powered generator?

This is not the first time this issue has come up here. I can recall two previous episodes of mis-identified compressors, with open frame motors being discussed. The notion of retaining a large impressive piece of hardware when old plants get demolished really does not care much about exactly what the hardware did, or what is called right now. It's something for folks to point at, and say 'remember when....'

It does look good outside on the cement monument though.You have the only one like it, the rest have old ugly steam engines you have a IR compressor..Phil

A place I worked (Comeng) had a giant C.E.Bellis&Co twin cylinder double acting air compressor driven by a 1500hp synchronous motor at somewhere around 200/300 rpm.....The thing was so quiet ,almost silent ,but the slow pulsing could be felt throughout the huge building...When they closed some years later ,I bought the big compressor at auction for $1200,and scrapped it.

While I have no information about what happened to the compressor ,
I had a note from Raymond Kennedy owner of the Old time Trains site saying that he had tried for some time to save the Porter Fireless Cooker owned by Westinghouse to switch the plant before it was scrapped in 1970 .
Old Time Trains
He also noted after seeing the Canadian Machinery article that " a large amount of 24" plant tracks into buildings etc. Too bad no photo of the battery locos and cars etc. That would have been very interesting!"
Regards,
Jim

While looking through a history of Briggs & Stratton I came across this photo showing several IR compressors. Not exactly the same, but similar.

Allis-Chalmers electric motors.

The book says they were in a new B&S plant built in 1954 at Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. Would it be safe to assume that IR was still building this type in the 1950's? I don't see why not.

BTW, for anyone interested...I think IR were the main (most successful?) builder of diesel engines for locomotives back in the early days of diesel-electric e.g. 1920's. A tenuous link to Westinghouse in the first post..

IR compressors at Briggs & Stratton, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, new in 1954 01.jpg

Last edited:
Peter ,
There are many Rand images in this collection
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/list_sheets.php?category_uid=7&search_input[]=Compresseur&search_rubrique[]=
Edit I Can't seem to save the search link
It would appear that that style of compressor was made at least until 1939
Since they would likely have geared up for War contracts shortly after that there may not have been many changes to the compressors until after the war
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=19371
There are some pictures from the 1960s where they are making rotary compressors
These are from a plant tour in 1962
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=22480
I'm having difficulty relating the descriptions to the pictures since there are no numbers on the pictures and the descriptions are farther down the page
I had seen a picture before of 4 Compressors in a Chrysler Plant possibly in one of Chrysler Canada's plants in the Windsor Ontario Area.
It didn't turn up in the search for compresseur so I tried one for Chrysler
http://www.histoiresherbrooke.ca/sheet.php?uid=22512
The ones shown here they say are c. 1965. so possibly even later than your example from 1954
One of 19 1/2 and 12 X 10and 3 more compressors of 17 and 10 1/2 X 10"

Regards,
Jim

Screw compressors seem to have wiped out the big recips sometime in the 1970s......screws would be a fraction of the price,and dont need any foundation.....however ,they must be less efficient ,because of the huge amount of waste heat from oil churning.....

Back