What's new
What's new

Steam threshers reunion

Andy221

Cast Iron
I went to the western Minnesota steam thrashers reunion today. Here's a few pictures I took from the foundry and machine shop. They have few other Lathes I couldn't get very good pictures of, there was a F E Reed, Porter, a N.E.A.T., south bend, along with the ATW.

1ya8p.jpg

35apunp.jpg

Here's a American tool works shaper made between 1900-1903. I didn't know ATW made these.

241w6fo.jpg

34f1w80.jpg

2z4ag5e.jpg

ATW Lathe

294ql3d.jpg

Hello, forgive me if i'm missing the obvious, but does the stepped pulley on the drill really travel up and down with the arm? Nice angle drilling arrangement. Presumably there are a pair of gears missing from the top of main drive shaft onto column?
Richard.

Hello, forgive me if i'm missing the obvious, but does the stepped pulley on the drill really travel up and down with the arm? Nice angle drilling arrangement. Presumably there are a pair of gears missing from the top of main drive shaft onto column?
Richard.

I think the vertical shaft drives the cone pulley through a pair of bevels that are hidden inside cast guards ,the cone pulley you can see will then drive another cone pulley out of site behind the column then through a shaft to the traversing drilling head.

Belt drive to a radial was pretty complicated ,nearly as bad as a universal grinder.

I think there might be a belt drive radial at Ironbridge museum ,not 100% on that.

The radial is a full universal. Arm raises and lowers, column swivels, the arm rotates and the head can swivel on the arm. No idea what brand. Drive to the drill head is through a shaft that you can see inside the arm. The cone pulleys on the head are for feed.

Here are some pics I took of the drill press 4 years ago. The person in charge told me it was gov. surplus, never used, still covered with cosmoline when they got it. P1010118.jpgP1010119.jpgP1010120.jpgP1010121.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures - to fill in a few details, the green slotter is a Putnam. The camelback drill press is a Milwaukee, the Black planner is a Whitcombe, the red planer (in pieces) is a Halladay, and the 28" lathe with 16' between centers us a Muller. The large radial arm drill is driven from the top by a pulley mounted vertically (parts are off for repair).

If anyone has a clue as to the make of the small horizontal mill, we'd like to find out.

The engine in the picture is a 1920 Fairbanks -Morse YH 25hp semi diesel. The one in the back room is a 1929 FM 15hp Kerosene. If you come to the show next year, introduce yourself and we'll bring you behind the fence for better pictures. Our little machine tool petting zoo took about 12 years to get to this point.

Back