What's new
What's new

Steptoe shaper weight

Bigtrucklover

Plastic
Anyone have a guesstimate on the weight of an early cone pulley driven Steptoe shaper?
It has the square dovetails and I'm guessing its a 16".
I'm not having luck with adding pictures on my phone and won't be near a desktop for a couple days.
I'll load pictures when I can.

Thanks!

Steptoe Shaper weight

I have a 1901 16" . Guestimate about 1800 lbs. I hauled mine in 2 trips with a Toyota Tacoma. Comes apart easily and most pieces handled by one person.IMG_1220.JPGIMG_1221.JPGIMG_1223.JPG

Thanks Dave,

I found my shaper is right about 2,000 lb.
I was visiting my wife's relatives and ended up finding this and was wondering if my pickup could handle the 550 mile trip through the Rockies without burning up bearings. Truck handled it like a champ with no issues.
I'll try and get pictures added tomorrow on my day off.
Do you know roughly where the serial number would be stamped?

Thanks,
Jay

I have a similar one to you both, 16" 1905. Think it was 2200lbs. Never found a serial number yet, just numbered pieces from assembly.
HzLA4YD.jpg

Thanks Bones, yours looks very nice.
Could you by chance take a picture of the stroke indicator scale? Mine is missing and I'd like to see what it looks like.

Thanks!
Jay

Could be wrong but it looks like yours is intact. Standing in front of your shaper it is on top of the ways with a pointer mounted on the ram on right side. My steptoe is much newer and is in the same place. Nice looking machine in comparison to a lot that show up.
Regards, John.

I have a similar 16 inch Lutter & Geis and an ATW, both will weigh about 2k or a bit over................about all the tractor wants to pick up on three point.............front end loader too.

Sorry I missed this post, but here is a photo of the scale - if you ask me looks homemade but I don't have another one to compare it to.

j8xDz9d.jpg

Thanks Bones!
I figured it would be fancy and cast, but that looks much easier to duplicate.
Would you mind measuring the overall length and width (excluding the screw tabs), as well as the space between divisions?

Thanks,
Jay

Back