What's new
What's new

Storebro Bruk 195/12 Lathe

TJScharp

Aluminum
I have inherited a 1960 Storebro Bruk Lathe made in Sweden. I have leveled the bed way to remove any twist, and have indicated the ways to ensure there isn’t a variation due to the bed gap.
My problem is I am getting .005” taper over a 3” cut, smaller at the chuck end. Deflection is not the issue. Bed wear may contribute to some of the issue but not all of it.
The headstock is mounted directly on the ways, and I don’t see any way to align the headstock. Is there anyone else out there with this machine who has had to align the spindle with the ways?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Sure sounds like deflection ,maybe a chuck issue? Try a different chuck ie 4 jaw and SHARP HSS and use a 1.5 piece of aluminum and see what you get.

One good idea when cutting the aluminum test bar is to cut the middle portion to a smaller diameter, leaving just two rings, one at each end, to be cut to diameter with a razor sharp tool (which it won't get dull cutting unnecessary material in the middle.

I also agree that it stinks of deflection: what type of spindle bearings? What spindle nose? How worn is the chuck (do the jaws make positive contact with the rod along the whole length, or only in the back)?

Paolo

Storebro lining-up : Before investigating advanced problems I would make sure the chuck is properly fitted and true. Start by cleaning mating surfaces thoroughly and refit. Check again for out of round by inserting piece of precision axle and use dial indicator. If result not to satisfaction, change chuck. If problem still exists then you have a more advance problem. You may get some hints from fol. video, even your lathe is an earlier model.

Good luck

Lars

Back