What's new
What's new

Storm Manufacturing Boring Drill

billkish807

Plastic
I recently received a Storm Manufacturing Boring Drill (model BCT) as part of my father-in-law's estate -- he ran an automobile/truck repair business and rebuilt several trucks over the years. I know next to nothing about it -- are they used anymore? How? By whom? Any value? Any Market? I'll take pretty much any information you can offer. Thanks

Attachments

• Honing1.jpg
    Honing1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Honing2.jpg
    Honing2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 159
  • honing3.jpg
    honing3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Honing4.jpg
    Honing4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 151
  • Honing6.jpg
    Honing6.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 153
It is a portable "boring bar' not a boring drill. Not widely used nowadays but still have there uses. Years ago most auto parts stores could bore a engine ,do valve work ,turn drums and line shoes. You are very lucky in having that tool kit ,as without those pieces all you have is a good floor lamp base. LOL Value $250-500 . Look around and see if he did not also have a "Sunnen" hone set as you need that item to finish the cylinders to size and finish.

Here ,a complete boring setup like that would fetch $2000 easily.......there is huge demand from old car and bike restorers for the old fashioned $50-70 a hole service.......modern cars last the life of the emission level now,and almost never wear out the engines .....consequently all the old engine shops are gone ......There are either V8 wacko speed shops ,or the top of the line very expensive diesel engine reco shops,and both charge eye watering prices ,and often arent capable of doing bike work.

I recently received a Storm Manufacturing Boring Drill (model BCT) as part of my father-in-law's estate -- he ran an automobile/truck repair business and rebuilt several trucks over the years. I know next to nothing about it -- are they used anymore? How? By whom? Any value? Any Market? I'll take pretty much any information you can offer. Thanks

I could be waaay wrong on this, but it don't affect my paycheck.

Could that particular rig be optimized for reboring front "solid" axle ends for fitting new "kingpins", rather than re-boring worn motor cylinders? Or maybe "both"?

Medium and heavy trucks still use that axle type, even today. Brand-new.

Passenger cars went to independent suspension ages ago, pickups followed quite a while back.

And you did say he rebuilt TRUCKS.

I could be waaay wrong on this, but it don't affect my paycheck.

Could that particular rig be optimized for reboring front "solid" axle ends for fitting new "kingpins", rather than re-boring worn motor cylinders? Or maybe "both"?

Medium and heavy trucks still use that axle type, even today. Brand-new.

Passenger cars went to independent suspension ages ago, pickups followed quite a while back.

And you did say he rebuilt TRUCKS.

No. King pins have replaceable bushings, sometimes reamed to size for the pin.

The boring bar is a conversation piece now day may bring a $100 or so. As for king pins The best way to fit them is with a Sunnen hone.

As you've been told that is for engine cylinder boring. it's not worth a lot, but engine rebuilding is on the up tick for those old vehicles, just in the last two years those old vehicles have over doubled in price from people who are tired of the current junk coming off of the assembly lines in favor of vehicles that are more owner repairable. as a second generation mechanic, turned machinist :) I'm in that boat myself! that is not just a decorative piece with all of those accessories it should be worth between $250-$1,000 depending on your local market and what ever items you find to go with it. if you have more engine rebuilding tools to go with it that'll help too! If the price is right, I might be interested myself. PM me if you like. good luck!

Try selling over at smokestak.

i think easy 1500.00 to 2000.00 a lot of small bike shops and old car restorations guys will snag them up? ( as mentioned )
That one looks to be complete.
They don't fetch near as much if they are not all there.

Back