Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Storm Manufacturing Boring Drill

I recently received a Storm Manufacturing Boring Drill (model BCT) as part of my father-in-law's estate -- he ran an automobile/truck repair business and rebuilt several trucks over the years. I know next to nothing about it -- are they used anymore? How? By whom? Any value? Any Market? I'll take pretty much any information you can offer. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails honing1.jpg   honing2.jpg   honing3.jpg   honing4.jpg   honing6.jpg  

2. Likes cutting oil Mac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a portable "boring bar' not a boring drill. Not widely used nowadays but still have there uses. Years ago most auto parts stores could bore a engine ,do valve work ,turn drums and line shoes. You are very lucky in having that tool kit ,as without those pieces all you have is a good floor lamp base. LOL Value $250-500 . Look around and see if he did not also have a "Sunnen" hone set as you need that item to finish the cylinders to size and finish.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here ,a complete boring setup like that would fetch $2000 easily.......there is huge demand from old car and bike restorers for the old fashioned $50-70 a hole service.......modern cars last the life of the emission level now,and almost never wear out the engines .....consequently all the old engine shops are gone ......There are either V8 wacko speed shops ,or the top of the line very expensive diesel engine reco shops,and both charge eye watering prices ,and often arent capable of doing bike work.

5. Likes muckalee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by billkish807 View Post
    I recently received a Storm Manufacturing Boring Drill (model BCT) as part of my father-in-law's estate -- he ran an automobile/truck repair business and rebuilt several trucks over the years. I know next to nothing about it -- are they used anymore? How? By whom? Any value? Any Market? I'll take pretty much any information you can offer. Thanks
    I could be waaay wrong on this, but it don't affect my paycheck.

Could that particular rig be optimized for reboring front "solid" axle ends for fitting new "kingpins", rather than re-boring worn motor cylinders? Or maybe "both"?

Medium and heavy trucks still use that axle type, even today. Brand-new.

Passenger cars went to independent suspension ages ago, pickups followed quite a while back.

And you did say he rebuilt TRUCKS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    I could be waaay wrong on this, but it don't affect my paycheck.

Could that particular rig be optimized for reboring front "solid" axle ends for fitting new "kingpins", rather than re-boring worn motor cylinders? Or maybe "both"?

Medium and heavy trucks still use that axle type, even today. Brand-new.

Passenger cars went to independent suspension ages ago, pickups followed quite a while back.

And you did say he rebuilt TRUCKS.

No. King pins have replaceable bushings, sometimes reamed to size for the pin.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    No. King pins have replaceable bushings, sometimes reamed to size for the pin.
    Many do, and essentially always reamed. Alignment as much as size. Or so it was back when I still had to actually DEAL with them atall.

Up-holler Appalachia folk tended to operate older wheeled goods than average. On-road or off.

Economic thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boring bar is a conversation piece now day may bring a $100 or so. As for king pins The best way to fit them is with a Sunnen hone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you've been told that is for engine cylinder boring. it's not worth a lot, but engine rebuilding is on the up tick for those old vehicles, just in the last two years those old vehicles have over doubled in price from people who are tired of the current junk coming off of the assembly lines in favor of vehicles that are more owner repairable. as a second generation mechanic, turned machinist I'm in that boat myself! that is not just a decorative piece with all of those accessories it should be worth between $250-$1,000 depending on your local market and what ever items you find to go with it. if you have more engine rebuilding tools to go with it that'll help too! If the price is right, I might be interested myself. PM me if you like. good luck!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billkish807 View Post
    Try selling over at smokestak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think easy 1500.00 to 2000.00 a lot of small bike shops and old car restorations guys will snag them up? ( as mentioned )
    That one looks to be complete.
    They don't fetch near as much if they are not all there.