What's new
What's new

Studer OB #949

rustytool

Stainless
Found this on craigslist 45 miles away. How could I resist ?
Painted a few times and rusting away I disassembled and stripped off all the layers of paint.
The table ways still have most of the hand scraping. Someone had replaced the overhead pulley bushings with shielded bearings so I replaced all the other open ball bearings with shielded ones. Except for the two roller bearings that the table drive shaft slides on.
Repainted with Sherwin Williams Polane. Though I've never seen any paint that can take the abuse that a grinder will throw at it.
DSCN0012.jpgDSCN0109.jpgDSCN0133.jpgDSCN0134.jpgDSCN0135.jpg

Maybe you should of just taken the castings back to bare metal and oiled them?
I believe Micron do that, though not sure? It certainly would look impressive on a machine of that size.
Now don`t go ignoring that beautiful Holbrook C10 will you:D

Maybe you should of just taken the castings back to bare metal and oiled them?
I believe Micron do that, though not sure? It certainly would look impressive on a machine of that size.
Now don`t go ignoring that beautiful Holbrook C10 will you:D
I thought about it but the filler and primer they used was impossible to remove completely without resorting to noxious chemicals or blasting. I prefer to just use a hand scraper and wire wheel.
The K&T 2HL vertical I have torn down will be left bare.DSCN0112.jpgDSCN0113.jpg

Are you kidding ? I'm just an amateur home hobby hack with no delusions of taking a weekend scraping class and then going home and restoring a machine like this to better than factory dimensions.
I never made the claim of having "restored" the grinder. I just cleaned it up and put new paint on the outside surfaces.
And "or best offer" means if the best offer I get is "Hey man, I've got half a bag of weed and every year for my birthday my Grandmother usually maybe gives me five bucks", then that's what I'll sell it for.

Back