What's new
What's new

Super Flex Grip Series A Collets

Arclight

Aluminum
Does anyone know what these collets were for? An old Tree mill I purchased came with some tooling that definitely doesn't go to it. I received (40) ZZ collets, and five of these little double-taper "Series A" collets that look like the might be for a tool grinder or something.

They are marked "Chico Super Flex Grip" and I have sizes from 1/8 - 7/16".

Picture is attached - US Quarter for scale:

Cheers,
Arclight

PXL_20201123_040703517.jpg
PXL_20201123_040722938.jpg

Those look similar in style to the small set that would have come with a Cincinnati Monoset cutter grinder.
They fit in the adapter that fits the Monoset spindle and the adapter is held with a large nut that normally retains the larger Monoset collets shown in the picture .The adapter for the smaller collets and several was missing when I got my Monoset so a friend made one for me and also an adapter from a Hardinge 5C plug chuck to take the smaller collets using the same smaller cap nut to tighten them so I could use the collets on another machine if needed.
One of my small collets for 3/16" dia. is stamped SUPER-Flex A 3/16 and I have them as large as 1/2" capacity .
I have a feeling that may be what you have .
I bought a new 3/8' collet from Hardinge years ago since I did not get one with my machine.
It's not shown in my picture.
Their designation was RD31 -3/8
I'm not sure if they still list them .
I'll try and add some measurements in the next day or two .Jim

Attachments

• DSCF9481.jpg
    DSCF9481.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 46
Measurements,
Some collets have a relief near the large diameter I presume to help them from sticking in the taper or to perhaps work with a collet chuck with an extraction washer similar to those found in an ER type collet.
Mine are not all the same maker but they all fit the holder , some appear to have a Cincinnati Part number.
These collets may have been used in other applications as well that I am not familiar with.
There may be adapters or collet chucks that are no longer in popular use out there for them to fit a Morse or other machine tapers.
P.S.
Here is a link to the Hardinge equivalent and their larger sized ones ,
No drawing shown that I can see.
Some sizes in stock .
https://shophardinge.com/categories.aspx?catid=10530

Attachments

• DSCF9482.jpg
    DSCF9482.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF9483.jpg
    DSCF9483.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF9484.jpg
    DSCF9484.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Okay, I measured them and I get the same as yours:

L 1.875"
D1 0.875
D2 0.615

Since they're still the packaging and labeled, I think it's safe to say that this "Series A" is the same as the Cincinnati Monoset. The variation I have does not have the step machined into the top like the ones in the catalog as "1CH".

These aren't going to fit any of my machines and I have sizes 1/8, 3/16, 5/16, 3/8 and 7/16. If someone can use them, make an offer and they're yours.

Does anyone know what these collets were for? An old Tree mill I purchased came with some tooling that definitely doesn't go to it. I received (40) ZZ collets, and five of these little double-taper "Series A" collets that look like the might be for a tool grinder or something.

They are marked "Chico Super Flex Grip" and I have sizes from 1/8 - 7/16".

Picture is attached - US Quarter for scale:

Cheers,
Arclight

View attachment 305482
View attachment 305483
Do you still have these chico collets?

Measurements,
Some collets have a relief near the large diameter I presume to help them from sticking in the taper or to perhaps work with a collet chuck with an extraction washer similar to those found in an ER type collet.
Mine are not all the same maker but they all fit the holder , some appear to have a Cincinnati Part number.
These collets may have been used in other applications as well that I am not familiar with.
There may be adapters or collet chucks that are no longer in popular use out there for them to fit a Morse or other machine tapers.
P.S.
Here is a link to the Hardinge equivalent and their larger sized ones ,
No drawing shown that I can see.
Some sizes in stock .
https://shophardinge.com/categories.aspx?catid=10530
Do you still have these collets?

Yes, I still have mine.
I will try sending you a private message.
By what I can see Arclight has not visited the forum in almost a year.
You might try to send him a private message also.

Last edited:

Back