What's new
What's new

Superb 1780 O.T. Lathe

Asquith

Diamond
JD 2019 CNAM Mercklein02.jpg 1. JD 2019 CNAM Mercklein09.jpg 2. JD 2019 CNAM Mercklein11.jpg 3. JD 2019 CNAM Mercklein20.jpg 4. JD 2019 CNAM Mercklein18.jpg 5.

I am proposing a new index for machines, which I’ll call the Acme Index. It’s the product of the age in years, quality of construction, and sophistication/ingenuity.

This machine scores 239 x 100 x 100 = 2,390,000.

However, if we now include a figure for usefulness, that figure would be 0, so the Index would reduce to zero, which seems harsh, so we’ll call it 1.;)

It’s a magnificent ornamental turning lathe made in 1780 by I. T. Mercklein for King Louis XVI, and on display in the wonderful Musée des Arts et Métiers in Paris.

The design of the machine is highly sophisticated, and the quality is outstanding. In fact as far as I could make out, the workmanship is flawless. It is one thing producing a perfect finish on components of straightforward geometry, of good material, and using good machine tools, but those conditions didn't apply in this case.

T. Mercklein was from Saxony, but settled in Paris and became J.-T. Mercklein.

From the museum’s descriptive label ‘ “By relaxing with a mechanical art, I believe, after my royal duties, I come closer to the lower classes, who are also part of my great family”, wrote King Louis XVI.’ Maybe the machine was more useful than I give it credit for.

In photo 5, note the arrangements for the toolholder's X and Y and rotational movement, and the micrometer dial.

Last edited:
It looks like some people have taken rather good care of it for a long time. If lathes could talk...

I read that L16 was into locksmithing as a child, and was generally intelligent and educated, so lathework is not too surprising. I guess he is the only lathe operator I know of who lost his head in a machine for political reasons.

Larry

I have seen that lathe a number of times, including once when it was out of its display case. Simply put it is one of the finest lathes in the world in my opinion.

Somewhere online there is a video of it working.

Thanks for posting it.

Both would be nice.

Enginebill, At this present period in British politics , We the citizens would love to have a guillotine, Much as I love old machinery, Even a nice C.N.C. guillotine would be acceptable Still to get back to the ancient lathe, the workmanship is awesome Even the little chand turning rest with its shell design is superb I was taken by the slide rest handles , more like a large clock

Quite,Dan. So long as we don't get Guillotine Mania,like the French Revolutionaries! They let a few babies down the plug-hole as well as the bath water. They could well have guillotined Mercklien as they did Lavoisier!

Back