is this a surface plate - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Budget -

Not sure where you are in NY. I'm upstate - and would advise keep looking. I've seen many decent surface plates go for less than $100 (and often under $50) most on stands at various auctions, some still in calibration. But if you are in the North Country or such it might take a bit of a drive.

Dale

2. Likes SouthBendModel34 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by duckfarmer27 View Post
    Budget -

Not sure where you are in NY. I'm upstate - and would advise keep looking. I've seen many decent surface plates go for less than $100 (and often under $50) most on stands at various auctions, some still in calibration. But if you are in the North Country or such it might take a bit of a drive.

Dale
    I'm near Oswego, all the reasonable ones I have found so far are over 3 hours away from me. I will take your suggestions and continue looking for a better deal. If anyone else has some input I would gladly take it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Montana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the size Vs how thin it is, Shars does sell a B grade plate that is 3' x 4'. it may be a shars plate with the tag missing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About 10 years ago, I bought a used but decent 18 x 24" for $50.00 at auction.

JH

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The price does seem high for plate in that condition. There are several recent sales on eBay. The prices are all over the board, but several that look to be in better shape than the one you're looking at sold for $70.00 to $208.00. As a point of reference I purchased a Challenge brand 24 x 36 cast iron plate last year for less than half what this seller is asking. The one I purchased still had the certification sticker on it from 2017. Certification in this area usually costs around $400.00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely bring something to measure with, if nothing else then your fingernail. I have a nice Starrett plate but seeing one of the basic import plates in a basement cleanout I figured I might use it general assembly/alignment- until I dragged a fingernail across. Don't know what the guy was using it for but yikes a ridge and hollow right down the middle. I have flatter plate burnouts. Left it.. about the only use I could see was to be part of a garden wall and I have plenty of bricks...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am currently in the process of buying a 2'x3' starrett plate. It has one chip on the edge and other than that it looks unused. It has a calibration sticker but it has gotten wet so I cant read it

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The surface plate I'm buying

It was $200 and I bought a starrett 454 surface gauge, some brown and sharpe micrometers, two sets of transfer punches for an additional $100 it also came with a bunch of these small file stones or whatever they are called. Did I get a good deal or did I get ripped off? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Budget? View Post
    I am currently in the process of buying a 2'x3' starrett plate. It has one chip on the edge and other than that it looks unused. It has a calibration sticker but it has gotten wet so I cant read it
    If you bought a granite plate that got wet, I'm afraid you lost out. Granite absorbs water like a sponge, swells up to twice the dry size, and when it shrinks it tends to wrinkle up, much like an actual sponge.

To make the plate usable again, spray a moderate amount of water on the top, and observe absorption and return to flatness. Do not over water, as you'll just have to let it dry out again. Once you've achieved the correct moisture level the plate is ready for use, but set a schedule to re-water as needed.

Oh, and don't leave steel or iron tooling on the plate overnight - they'll rust.

11. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_20191230_124256.jpgimg_20191230_114756.jpgimg_20191230_130251.jpgimg_20191230_124224.jpg I'm not sure what these stones are called or what they are worth but they were cheap so I grabbed them edit:the abrasive stone file things is what I'm curious about.
    Last edited by Budget?; 12-30-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: I didn't clarify which stones

13. Likes Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    If you bought a granite plate that got wet, I'm afraid you lost out. Granite absorbs water like a sponge, swells up to twice the dry size, and when it shrinks it tends to wrinkle up, much like an actual sponge.

To make the plate usable again, spray a moderate amount of water on the top, and observe absorption and return to flatness. Do not over water, as you'll just have to let it dry out again. Once you've achieved the correct moisture level the plate is ready for use, but set a schedule to re-water as needed.

Oh, and don't leave steel or iron tooling on the plate overnight - they'll rust.
    Thats a new one on me. You dont have to go far to see CMM/plate manufacturers lapping wet, the big deal about canode is you can wash it down with water.

15. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Hopefuldave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon73 View Post
    Thats a new one on me. You dont have to go far to see CMM/plate manufacturers lapping wet, the big deal about canode is you can wash it down with water.
    Did I really have to add a big-ass to that message??

17. Likes gbent, duckfarmer27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deleted off-topic posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Budget? View Post
    I'm near Oswego,
    Budget -

I'd be amazed if you can't find one somewhere between Rochester and Syracuse at a decent price - just keep looking. I'm in the middle of nowhere in the Southern Tier and they turn up here from time to time.

Dale

Answered too fast - you solved your problem. Just make sure to drain the oil to go with the watering
    Last edited by duckfarmer27; 12-30-2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Pulled the trigger too fast