What's new
What's new

Taper micrometers

L Vanice

Diamond
I am starting a thread on taper micrometers as practice in adding photos and files using the new vb software. I have several of these neat mikes and will add more photos and information later, as time permits.

For now, I only have two photos in my computer. I tried to include the chart that goes with the mikes, but the file size was too big in Word and the Excel version is not uploadable here. When time permits, I will scan it into a .jpg file and see if that works. I did discover that I can upload photos directly to the PM server, and don't need to use Photobucket.

I have not found a way to add a link, except by just pasting the web address into the message. I did not try a long address, so I don't know if the old scrolling problem is still applicable with the new software.

Larry

Attachments

• taper mikes closed.JPG
    taper mikes closed.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 126
  • taper mikes open.JPG
    taper mikes open.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 125
Larry,

I mod on a Christian forum that uses vBulletin software, and I posted a tutorial on including links in posts Here. Although the pop-up box is different here, the steps are the same. I still have to get around to the 'Posting Images' tutorial...

RAS

Way cool...

...and I never realized such things existed.

Would be of definite advantage for an old lathe user/restorer since so many of those machines didn't use standard Morse, Jarno, or even Brown & Sharpe Tapers.

Ed Battison termed the taper used then as an "American" Taper which was supposedly 1/2 inch to the foot but I hold most lathe makers of the 1840s to 1880s each maintained their own standard as to length, big end diameter, etc.

Best,
Joe in NH

As did Old Man Rivett

The Rivett 608 has an incredible 2 degrees 55 minutes as its tail taper... I have found two good ways to turn this to make centres etc... Rick and Steve very kindly sent me an origianl Rivett drawing of the taper with mouth sizes etc. I have a wonderful WW1 artillery clinometer complete with fine leather holster which can be set to one minute of arc with excellent precision and this is used to set the taper at the cross slide. Seems to work ok. The other is a kind of horizontal sine bar system using slips to set the angle. Very time-consuming though but dead accurate. My 608 now has two Bison chucks and a new Myford-Modified faceplate. Thr 6" Bison is a self-centering 4-jaw and it sets beautifully. The lathe holds its soec too I am MOST chuffed at this but find it is taking large chunks of my time.. learning the trade again.

Rod from Scotland

Those mics are truly way cool....... I have a spare mic head, and that looks like an interesting use..... Hmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Back