What's new
What's new

Testing a Hendey #2B Mill

Dr. Hillbilly

Aluminum
No leads on a LeBlond #2 so I expect to purchase a Hendey #2B that found me.
The owner had the machine for 30 years but has not made a chip with it so its condition is not known, but is under power (220V retrofit) so it can be tested.
I find two old threads on this forum regarding the Hendey mills but they are several years old. Can anyone refresh the Hendey archive of available documentation? I would like to know enough about the machine to reasonably test it so I know what I am getting into (at my age one does not start 10 year projects!).

Dr. HillBilly:

Hendey made the No. 2 Miller in two styles, Plain and Universal. They were built from 1900 until 1929, with the last of the inventory being sold off in 1930. Over the years, as improvement were made, the machine designation was changed. The early machine would have simply been a No.2, then the No.2B and finally the No.2C, assuming we are talking about the Cone Head models. The Geared Head model would have a "G" after the model number. There were a few other designations, but this will give you an idea of what to like for on your machine. I should mention that the Headstock on the Belt Driven Milling Machines is the same arrangement as used on the Cone Head lathes.
Since the repair technique is the same as the Cone Heads and is will documented on this Forum, you shouldn't have any trouble servicing
the Spindle. The No.2 Miller will use B&S No.10 tooling in the Spindle unless it was one of the very last built, then it will have a
NMTB Taper.

Regarding literature, I offer copies of the Sales Brochure and the Parts Book for sale. The type of Sales Brochure you get will depend
on the style of Miller you have. The Sales Brochure contains the specification on the Miller, an explanation of the main features, a
description (pictorial display) of all of the standard accessories supplied with the machine and a description (pictorial display) of
all of the standard tooling sent with the machine. The Parts Book covers the various styles and sizes of Millers and is pictorial. There
are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair parts in inventory for the Milling Machines and haven't been for at least seventy years.
There are no longer any hard copies of the drawings for the Milling Machines in the files, it appears that these were destroyed by Barber
Colman in the mid-1950s. The good news is that prior to destroying the drawings, they were all microfilmed, meaning that I can print
from the film if a drawing is required. If you are interested in the Sales Brochure or the Parts Book, contact me directly at:
[email protected] for details. I am a messy housekeeper and I don't always keep my PM mailbox cleaned out, causing contact problems.

Hendeyman

No leads on a LeBlond #2 so I expect to purchase a Hendey #2B that found me.
The owner had the machine for 30 years but has not made a chip with it so its condition is not known, but is under power (220V retrofit) so it can be tested.
I find two old threads on this forum regarding the Hendey mills but they are several years old. Can anyone refresh the Hendey archive of available documentation? I would like to know enough about the machine to reasonably test it so I know what I am getting into (at my age one does not start 10 year projects!).

I recently acquired a #1B and it seems a very capable machine. Post some picture of the #2B.

Henedy #2B

Dr. HillBilly:

Hendey made the No. 2 Miller in two styles, Plain and Universal. They were built from 1900 until 1929, with the last of the inventory being sold off in 1930. Over the years, as improvement were made, the machine designation was changed. The early machine would have simply been a No.2, then the No.2B and finally the No.2C, assuming we are talking about the Cone Head models. The Geared Head model would have a "G" after the model number. There were a few other designations, but this will give you an idea of what to like for on your machine. I should mention that the Headstock on the Belt Driven Milling Machines is the same arrangement as used on the Cone Head lathes.
Since the repair technique is the same as the Cone Heads and is will documented on this Forum, you shouldn't have any trouble servicing
the Spindle. The No.2 Miller will use B&S No.10 tooling in the Spindle unless it was one of the very last built, then it will have a
NMTB Taper.

Regarding literature, I offer copies of the Sales Brochure and the Parts Book for sale. The type of Sales Brochure you get will depend
on the style of Miller you have. The Sales Brochure contains the specification on the Miller, an explanation of the main features, a
description (pictorial display) of all of the standard accessories supplied with the machine and a description (pictorial display) of
all of the standard tooling sent with the machine. The Parts Book covers the various styles and sizes of Millers and is pictorial. There
are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair parts in inventory for the Milling Machines and haven't been for at least seventy years.
There are no longer any hard copies of the drawings for the Milling Machines in the files, it appears that these were destroyed by Barber
Colman in the mid-1950s. The good news is that prior to destroying the drawings, they were all microfilmed, meaning that I can print
from the film if a drawing is required. If you are interested in the Sales Brochure or the Parts Book, contact me directly at:
[email protected] for details. I am a messy housekeeper and I don't always keep my PM mailbox cleaned out, causing contact problems.

Hendeyman

Hendeyman,
As you can see in the images this is a 2B Universal with cone drive.
I sent you an email to purchase the brochure and parts book.
I know some of the Hendey's had powered feed for all three axes. Would this one?
Thanks

thumbnail_DSCF0041.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 027.jpgDavids machine pics 6-30-2013 029.jpgthumbnail_DSCF0017.jpgthumbnail_DSCF0031.jpg

453 line items with Hendey and Mill for search terms if you care to wade thru

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/search.php?searchid=21696890&pp=&page=2

ph

Thanks for the link, but it does not work:
The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search.

I am new to the forum and will work on my searching technique!

Looks like its has been fixed up with a NMTB spindle nose spindle - if flange is 3.625" O.D, that would make it a NMTB #40

Yes, it looks like NMTB to me as well, but the tooling with the machine looks like B&S #10 which would be original. I will learn a lot about its history and modification after I have picked up the machine!

The point being you too can do a search with the search terms Hendey and Mill:)

Thanks for the link, but it does not work:
The following errors occurred with your search:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search.

I am new to the forum and will work on my searching technique!

Looks like its has been fixed up with a NMTB spindle nose spindle - if flange is 3.625" O.D, that would make it a NMTB #40

According to Hendeyman the last of the production Hendey mills used NMTB spindle interfaces, but then I would expect this machine to be a #2C rather than a #2B. Perhaps a 2C spindle was retrofitted? But the arbors with the machine all appear to be B&S #10. We will see...

Back