What's new
What's new

Is there an actual name for this?

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
Trying to determine if this has an actual name/term other than roundy square pin thingy.

Its basically a key, but drops into 3/16" hole in shaft half its length, other half is basically 3/16" square. It engages a simple form of clutch plate on either side of a gear in a power table system, from the 60's.

Not sure what they are called to even look for something? Can't really hold anything that small in my lathe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Trying to determine if this has an actual name/term other than roundy square pin thingy.

Its basically a key, but drops into 3/16" hole in shaft half its length, other half is basically 3/16" square. It engages a simple form of clutch plate on either side of a gear in a power table system, from the 60's.

Not sure what they are called to even look for something? Can't really hold anything that small in my lathe.

Every picture tells a story.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Woodruff Key?

maxresdefault.jpg

Joe in NH

Just got back to this since my steel showed up. Seen the exact same thing on some European equipment, just larger.

60bdcbbad3b2ba510d54db689a258ab6.jpg

A couple of my 19th century lathes have this convention. Usually found on the ball-cranks or handles.

A groove is made in the handle. Can be cut through but might even be a "miter notch". A cape chisel will cut this quickly. A drilled hole is made in the shaft. A "slug" is made as shown and is put into the hole during assembly and serves the function of a key between the two parts. And usually covered with a washer and nut so you don't see anything.

Not so common after say the turn of the 20th century.

I've often considered this a cheap expedient to actually forming a keyslot in the ball-crank - a form difficult to hold for key-slot cutting in a shaper vise, and difficult to cut the key through by hand or using a "keyseat cutter."

Joe in NH

A couple of my 19th century lathes have this convention. Usually found on the ball-cranks or handles.

A groove is made in the handle. Can be cut through but might even be a "miter notch". A cape chisel will cut this quickly. A drilled hole is made in the shaft. A "slug" is made as shown and is put into the hole during assembly and serves the function of a key between the two parts. And usually covered with a washer and nut so you don't see anything.

Not so common after say the turn of the 20th century.

I've often considered this a cheap expedient to actually forming a keyslot in the ball-crank - a form difficult to hold for key-slot cutting in a shaper vise, and difficult to cut the key through by hand or using a "keyseat cutter."

Joe in NH
This is set up this way so a gear can go on the shaft between the two Pinkney thingys.

I have seen this type of key on early 80s German equipment as well.

Only thing I can think of is a cross pin bolt for a differential in a truck/car but it’s not the same so who knows

And imo that looks hella janky and sketch but also seems to work

Only thing I can think of is a cross pin bolt for a differential in a truck/car but it’s not the same so who knows

And imo that looks hella janky and sketch but also seems to work
In this size and design I think they are designed as the weak link right after the slip clutch.

Friend across the street made me a few today. I need a small lathe with a collet chuck.
cd83fd2252e6699632180d8de6c09e55.jpg

In German those are called stones. In English I[FONT=&quot]’m inclined to say key, dowel key?[/FONT]

Square collets work great.I have made a part with that form out of 3/8" square gauge stock in a 7/16 square collet with four sheet metal shims.Little stuff like that can even be parted off for nice square ends and accurate length.

Back