What's new
What's new

GE 24" (?} shaper parts available?

handsome devil

Hot Rolled
Sorry no pics or definate info, but putting this out here anyway. A friend gave me a GE shaper which has not run in 15 years, has gone through 3 floods and been under a tarp all this time. I plan on taking the table and table support, and possible a few other parts that might be good. Am keeping the table/support for myself. Think the machine is a 24" and guessing about late 1940s through mid 50s vintage. Plan on going down there {150 miles away}and get my parts. Would be happy to salvage anything anybody else would want but you would have to either pu in southern Wi or NE Wi if I bring parts home. I think the machine looks good all things considered but I don't want to haul the remains home and then have to load up again to scrapper. Parts I can or am willing to accommodate. I have a 20" steptoe and do not have room or desire to try and save this machine. Crying shame but it is the way it is.

If your interested in any GE parts keep this thread in mind. Will try and get pics and Sn# tomorrow to confirm some of the more important details. I brought home an early radial drill press which had gone through same situation. While it was a lot of work there was no permanent damage. The worst was labor of cleaning up rust and gummed up shafts and gear boxes. Motor froze tight of course. So if your interested follow this thread as I will post pics and more info after tomorrow if all goes as planned. The machine is located north of Madison, Wi 40 miles or so. This machine is destined for the scrap bin so if your interested in the parts you'll have to act fast once I am done getting what I want off of it. I have nothing to gain from this but like many of you I like old machines and if you can't save it completely then maybe some body is looking for parts. Doubtful but you never know. Regards, John.

I would be interested in the vise handle if available. I wish the whole machine could be saved, but if beyond doing so, do the next best thing. I have a 1956 24 in. G&E and it will live forever if cared for. G&E's were very well made in the 40's and 50's. Please post photos if possible.

I'd be interested in the vise, if it has powered downfeed for the ram I'd be interested in the bits. Would appreciate pics first to determine if usable in my genreration shaper.

Lucky7

Sorry on way down to take pics and get my parts and some unrelated equipment my dually sheered all the studs on passenger side rear and I did not make it down to southern Wi to do my intended duty. I will be going down soon in a different vehicle as my crew cab is down until I get some new rims and tires swapped around. So be patient and I will get pics and actual size of machine. This was an expensive day with no accomplishments of any kind. Some damage but nobody hurt and for that I am grateful. If your interested just watch for this thread later. Regards, John.

PS I do not think there is a vice on this machine so vice and vice handles are not there to take off. If it had a vice I would probably keep it myself.

Ok made the trip and none of my wheels fell off my vehicle. Do not know my shapers that well. I had been told it was a G&E but the plaque say "Simmons"? Not sure if they bought out G&E or what, never heard of Simmons. The machine is actually a 20" and has speed control above the motor and appears to be free. The indicator moved when adj wheel was turned. So this is what it is. 3 floods in the last 10 years and not run for at least 15. The machine I am almost positive could be saved and think would just take elbow grease to get running. All the bolts I took out came out easy. It is now missing the table, clapper/compound assembly, table support bracket and starter button and box.

As stated the machine is approx 40 miles north of Madison Wi. If someone seriously wanted the machine and could be counted on picking it up within the next month I would probably give it away as is. The parts I took off could go back to it if the person was prompt and didn't play any asshole games. I live to far away to play the "I want it but can't come get it till later" game. You want it come get it. The loading will have to be arranged unless you winch it on your trailer. If no serious takers it will be going in scrap bucket very soon. I think $50 down reimbursed when you pick it up is fair. A few dollars donated to the operator of the lull or museum would be a nice gesture too. Not trying to discourage some one near enough who really wants it but am trying to discourage game players who want to waste my time and effort. Also realize that nobody may want any of the big parts or the machine at all. I can live with that no problem. Just don't want to play "Craigslist" wasting my time and effort.

This could be a fun little project for someone, but in my book shapers do not bring that much money and if you shop around you could probably find one in running condition and would be further off going that route.

I did not find any handles for this machine. Not sure if the original owner has them or not. He is in Oregon now and in process of moving. I would consider them gone for good. I know the situation. I know a guy who is looking for that handle for moving the box up and down. Kind of a special handle arrangement.

Attachments

• 000_0008-1.jpg
    000_0008-1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 000_0009.jpg
    000_0009.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 000_0015-1.jpg
    000_0015-1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 94
I think it is safe to say Gould & Eberhardt didn't have anything to do with this one. Also doubt it is any newer than early forties...........probably older. Very nice size though and if it were close, I'd be trying to make something of it. If it has an oil pump, it certainly is new enough to merit some work.
But then, I'm in a machine tool desert..............so I'm not quick to pass one up.

I can only assume it has a pump. I saw no oil holes like on my older Ohio. This trip with the tarp off is the first I ever saw it in the open. Guess at size and was told it was a G&E. A friend was using a larger G&E in MD on a locomotive project just recently. Was about the smoothest running shaper I ever saw and heard. You can't save everything but neither the RR museum where this resides or myself need another one. Most of us have projects lined up to keep us busy till we start pushing daisies. Do not have a forklift to handle this out side of my shop either, so the decision not to bring it home was the best for me. Shot in the dark that someone would step up to save this.
Thanks for your interest. Regards, John.

Back