What's new
What's new

Tiny Antique Flypress

He is asking $199, Text of the add:
This is a beautiful antique cast iron with brass press. It appears to be extremely rare. One side of the press has a backwards R overlapping the letter G followed by "No. 2995". The other side is blank. It has a lovely L-shaped handle and helical geared feed.
The device seems to work exactly as it should. When the L-shaped handle is turned clockwise the helical geared feed lowers and retracts when it is released.

It is approximately 8 1/2 inches tall with a base of about 5" in length.

Last edited:
I have a similar one (somewhere:confused:)
I understood they were used for setting press studs etc in leather goods, at least they work very well for that task. Had to make up several 'tools' for the various sizes of studs.
Mark

The very end of the fast thread is barely visible if you look. The ebay pics are better to zoom in on. I am not sure how it is staying up? It should spin down. Old sticky oil maybe...

To zoom in on a picture in PM, open the picture and then click on it. It will open in its own window. Now hold down the Ctrl key and tap the + key as many times as you want and the picture will enlarge with each tap. The - key will reduce. Eventually, it will run out of resolution, but the pictures I posted from the eBay listing are very good, so you can see the tops of the spirals. Hold Ctrl and press the top row zero key to restore to normal size. Use the back arrow to return to the PM post.

Larry

Last edited:
I searched button press and just got lever and plier-type devices. But then I searched antique button press and found several pictures of the fly press type. Thanks for the answer. I was pretty sure the apothecary story was bogus.

Three Antique Button Press Devices - Catawiki

I started doing leather work in 1955 and bought snap fasteners and the tools for setting them from the local Tandy Leather Co. store. I still have them. My tools are just punches that you hit with a hammer. I have some old eyelets and a plier-type setter. I had never seen one of these little screw-type presses.

Larry

fly button press 1.jpg fly button press 2.jpg

To zoom in on a picture in PM, open the picture and then click on it. It will open in its own window. Now hold down the Ctrl key and tap the + key as many times as you want and the picture will enlarge with each tap. The - key will reduce. Eventually, it will run out of resolution, but the pictures I posted from the eBay listing are very good, so you can see the tops of the spirals. Hold Ctrl and press the top row zero key to restore to normal size. Use the back arrow to return to the PM post.

Larry

You can also hold the ctrl key and zoom using the mouse wheel. Also, ctrl0 (zero) will reset to 100%.

Back