Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The calipers look like ones made by Kimball & Talbot. David C Talbot of Worcester, MA patented the caliper with a built in measuring scale Jan 27, 1863.

I have an ID and OD version very similar to yours.

Speaking of Studley tool chest have you seen the Instagram user otbirch recreating the chest...amazing.

Fred Armbruster (@otbirch) • Instagram photos and videos

Rivett maybe you should make a scaled version?!

2. Likes Jim Christie, SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have some K & T calipers, they made a lot of neat ones.

Fred is a very good friend of mine and yes have seen this project. I have also played with the original Studley Chest.

I have thought about but it might take longer than I could ever do. I have 2 other chests I want to make scaled versions of.

4. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is pretty epic, I just purchased and read the book on the Studley tool chest and workbench. The book is informative, but I am disappointed with the lack of factual detail about the Starrett tools in the chest. The machinist tools did not receive the same level of detail as the woodworking tools.

What two chests do you have in mind?

6. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my tiny B&S caliper with the factory case and factory 2" rule.
    I have had this for a very long time. Use to have two of them.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b-s-1.jpg   b-s-2.jpg   b-s-3.jpg   b-s-4.jpg   b-s-1a.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really nice and so is that little rule!

9. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will agree that, so far, Kimball & Talbot are the most likely makers of the "Studley Registering Calipers".

But I have 4 reservations.

#1: None of the three illustrated reflect the "Studley Registering Calipers" exactly, but they are very close. I doubt K&T offered three products only.

#2: Are any Kimball & Talbot calipers marked ? If none ever are, it would enhance the possibility the "Studley Registering Calipers" are K&T.

#3: The pivots are significantly different from Ad to Reality. Drawings often are not accurate.

#4: Most significantly, the Ad illustrates the Clamping Knob to be on the FRONT, whereas in reality the Knob is on the back. But Drawings often are not accurate, and it may have been thought advantageous to show a Clamping Knob, even on the wrong side.

None of these four arguments against K&T being the makers are deal-breakers, and there are common explanations for all of them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The McDonough Patent of 1876 is another small pair of calipers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SalemRule View Post
    I will agree that, so far, Kimball & Talbot are the most likely makers of the "Studley Registering Calipers".

But I have 4 reservations.

#1: None of the three illustrated reflect the "Studley Registering Calipers" exactly, but they are very close. I doubt K&T offered three products only.

#2: Are any Kimball & Talbot calipers marked ? If none ever are, it would enhance the possibility the "Studley Registering Calipers" are K&T.

#3: The pivots are significantly different from Ad to Reality. Drawings often are not accurate.

#4: Most significantly, the Ad illustrates the Clamping Knob to be on the FRONT, whereas in reality the Knob is on the back. But Drawings often are not accurate, and it may have been thought advantageous to show a Clamping Knob, even on the wrong side.

None of these four arguments against K&T being the makers are deal-breakers, and there are common explanations for all of them.
    This example sold on eBay for $27.34 yesterday. I thought the quality was too low for me to buy it. The off-center tapped hole for the locking screw was a real turn-off. And it should register 0 with the jaws closed. The missing screw would be easy to make if the thread is standard. I guess they are rare enough that saving the pictures is worthwhile.

Larry

reg-cal-1.jpg reg-cal-2.jpg reg-cal-3.jpg reg-cal-4.jpg

13. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    This example sold on eBay for $27.34 yesterday. I thought the quality was too low for me to buy it. The off-center tapped hole for the locking screw was a real turn-off. And it should register 0 with the jaws closed. The missing screw would be easy to make if the thread is standard. I guess they are rare enough that saving the pictures is worthwhile.

Larry

reg-cal-1.jpg reg-cal-2.jpg reg-cal-3.jpg reg-cal-4.jpg
    That's certainly odd.

Since the Seller provided no pics with the Tips touching, it is difficult for me to state 100% that the Pointer would not be at Zero when closed, but I agree it appears that would be an issue.

The off-centered Tapped Hole is curious, as the K&T Ad shows the Clamping Knob off-centered. And on the wrong side as well. In fact, the K&T Ad shows tools that cannot function - IMHO.

It would have been interesting to purchase the eBay example just to lay it on top of a proper example, to see what is going on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ebay "Studley" Calipers are questionable

Ok, these are the actual Studley Calipers:

Note three significant differences between these and the "eBay" Calipers.

#1 The central cutout is shaped differently. All K&T's would be the same, as I expect they were stamped with a Punch & Die.

#2 The only stamped numbers are the "1". On the "Studley" the "1" is outside the long scribed one inch line. On the "eBay" the "1" is inside the long scribed one inch line.

#3 The scribed graduation lines vary significantly in length between the "Studley" and the "eBay".

The following are my calipers, which match the "Studley" in every respect. Also, I have opened them up so as to match the "eBay" calipers, and I believe the "eBay" Calipers probably do zero out properly when closed.

CONCLUSION: The "eBay" Calipers are significantly different from the "Studley" Calipers. They are not "Studley" calipers as we know them. Additionally, it appears to me there are many irregularities in the contours of the "eBay" Calipers. It appears to be hand-filed rather than stamped; and thus is a shop made copy of an actual K&T.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The eBay caliper picture with the wood scale allowed me to transfer the opening between the jaws over to the scale using a picture editor. The jaw opening is about 11/32 inch. The caliper pointer is at about 9/32 inch on the caliper's scale. Pretty shabby.

And, consider the first two pictures in post #30 and this statement: "The following are my calipers, which match the "Studley" in every respect."

Now look at the shape of the contact areas of the jaws. They are noticeably different. If they were die stamped, I would expect the jaw shape to match. So maybe the jaw contact areas were hand filed after assembly as a means of adjusting the pointer to zero with the jaws closed.

Larry

reg-cal-4-scaled.jpg

17. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's certainly odd.

Since the Seller provided no pics with the Tips touching, it is difficult for me to state 100% that the Pointer would not be at Zero when closed, but I agree it appears that would be an issue.

The off-centered Tapped Hole is curious, as the K&T Ad shows the Clamping Knob off-centered. And on the wrong side as well. In fact, the K&T Ad shows tools that cannot function - IMHO.

It would have been interesting to purchase the eBay example just to lay it on top of a proper example, to see what is going on.
    Do you have the eBay Item Number ?

I'm curious to read the description.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The eBay caliper picture with the wood scale allowed me to transfer the opening between the jaws over to the scale using a picture editor. The jaw opening is about 11/32 inch. The caliper pointer is at about 9/32 inch on the caliper's scale. Pretty shabby.

And, consider the first two pictures in post #30 and this statement: "The following are my calipers, which match the "Studley" in every respect."

Now look at the shape of the contact areas of the jaws. They are noticeably different. If they were die stamped, I would expect the jaw shape to match. So maybe the jaw contact areas were hand filed after assembly as a means of adjusting the pointer to zero with the jaws closed.

Larry

reg-cal-4-scaled.jpg
    Yes, the "eBay" Calipers display definite signs of that.

Something is up with the Seller's rule as well. The first 1/4 inch is definitely shy of a 1/4 inch.

KIKKERLAND is not known for being a maker of precision tools

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, the "eBay" Calipers display definite signs of that.

Something is up with the Seller's rule as well. The first 1/4 inch is definitely shy of a 1/4 inch.

KIKKERLAND is not known for being a maker of precision tools
    Yes, I should have paid more attention to the end of that rule. I did the accuracy check over using internal marks on the scale. Now the opening is about 5/16 inch, so the caliper is only off by about 1/32 inch.

Larry

reg-cal-4-scaled.jpg

21. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have the eBay Item Number ?

I'm curious to read the description.
    Vintage UNBRANDED Watchmakers Steel Watch Maker Calipers Measuring Tool (?) | eBay

Larry

23. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I should have paid more attention to the end of that rule. I did the accuracy check over using internal marks on the scale. Now the opening is about 5/16 inch, so the caliper is only off by about 1/32 inch.

Larry

reg-cal-4-scaled.jpg
    So would a little more filing fix it ?

Or is it basically done for ?

I don't think you missed anything Larry. It's a cute shop made item, but not "Studley" quality. And yes, the location of the Threaded Hole is really hard to overlook.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So would a little more filing fix it ?

Or is it basically done for ?...
    I think it needs 1/32 inch added to a jaw tip.

I read that Stanley stamped steel framing squares were adjusted for squareness with hammer blows, apparently by very skilled people. Maybe that approach could work, but I think the thing is too ugly to bother improving or replacing the screw.

Larry

26. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it needs 1/32 inch added to a jaw tip.

I read that Stanley stamped steel framing squares were adjusted for squareness with hammer blows, apparently by very skilled people. Maybe that approach could work, but I think the thing is too ugly to bother improving or replacing the screw.

Larry
    I have also read that Hand Saws were tensioned with Hammers.

I'm not sure I believe either story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hijack this hijacked thread, but now I finally know who made these small calipers.
    They look just like the ones rivett608 says are Stevens and although the makers mark is almost worn off it looks like that’s what these say. Mine are about 2-3/4” long so not exactly tiny but still the smallest I own.

29. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, they look Stevens, some also have the 1870? Patent stamped real lightly on the leg.

They made these in a 1” or 1 1/2” size as a watch fob. I never found a pair to buy.

31. Likes SalemRule liked this post