Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by holtzapffelFan View Post
    I'm guessing that mic on the end of the pin doesn't work? Would be very impressed if a miniature actually worked and the reason I became a fan of Rivett's work. It seems that everything that I have seen of Rivett's fine, incredible tools, actually work. (A tiny plane that shaves wood... that is really fun, I loved seeing this in the Tedx Talk.)

I wonder if I have the Spring Dividers in the photo of post #58... I don't remember my pair marked by J. Stevens on the legs of the dividers; I will have to look at them tomorrow or Saturday, but they sure seem like the same shape as pictured above.
    LOL !

Good Point.

Rivett's would operate flawlessly.

Pretty sure he could not live with himself if they didn't.

His work is truly inspirational.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by holtzapffelFan View Post
    I'm guessing that mic on the end of the pin doesn't work? Would be very impressed if a miniature actually worked and the reason I became a fan of Rivett's work. It seems that everything that I have seen of Rivett's fine, incredible tools, actually work. (A tiny plane that shaves wood... that is really fun, I loved seeing this in the Tedx Talk.)

I wonder if I have the Spring Dividers in the photo of post #58... I don't remember my pair marked by J. Stevens on the legs of the dividers; I will have to look at them tomorrow or Saturday, but they sure seem like the same shape as pictured above.
    IMHO Stevens was the PREMIERE manufacturer when it came to skill.

Many Stevens products were assembled using press-fits, and could not be dis-assembled.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I looked at the dividers today, I have two old pair, but I cannot find any marks to identify them. One pair is strangely discolored; the other pair just seems like it has some small amounts of black discoloration. Some metals rust, but some metals become black. Is there an official name for this and degrees of mis-treatment? It seems that there should be some kind of common language about rusted tools. This happened before me regarding the antique dividers; all my tools live (including this tool chest acquisition) in minimum 64 (heat) to 78 (cool) degrees year round. It's easy to do this because they all my tools fit on pantry shelving unit.

I did use the screw to close the dividers as small as possible, the legs came together nicely; but I did not try to dis-assemble. I have a natural tendency to dis-assemble things that are new to me, and that can get me into trouble, so I try to behave myself when it comes to machinery.

4. Likes SalemRule, SouthBendModel34 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can be so ignorant.

I have long admired the tiny Stevens Coil Calipers

but have always been mystified in how they would be a proper FOB.

You see, my understanding of a FOB was based on personal experience. Like many, I use KEY FOBS.

I have a leather FOB for the House Keys, a Plastic one for my Car Keys.

I can easily feel for the proper keys in my pocket that way.

But I would never want a sharp-ended pair of Calipers in my pocket. They would catch on the fabric and prick my fingers.

But today, after far too many years, a light came on in my head. As the catalog plainly describes, these were for WATCHES !

Duh !