What's new
What's new

TLC on Hendey Tail Stock

Froneck

Titanium
Being the weather is getting warmer I decided to do some TLC on my Hendey 18 speed 14" tail stock. Still using the lathe but have a job that will take a while that does not need the tail stock. Handles are removed and painted. Reason I wait for warm weather is I do it all outside and wire wheel the casting with a mask on. Rear part of the spindle removed so is the spindle. On other lathes there is ball trust bearing for the spindle screw, is it a good idea to bore the end cap and insert one? What about the tail locking handle, I have a few needle roller trust bearing might that be a good idea to insert or will vibration loosen the tail stock? All the covers are removed from the back of the lathe belts and gears exposed covers are painted and slowly head stock is being prepared for paint. Even with the covers in place the gears sing especially when spindle is running at 1000 RPM, is there any kind of thick lube that will quiet those gears? I purchased way wipers and Gits oil cups from McMaster.Intend to put oil hole to lube the tail stock ways, eventually put oil cups in the clutch and feed rod support, I don't like the open holes, the lead screw does have an oil cup.

Back