What's new
What's new

Tool ID needed please.

ifirefight

Plastic
Got a few things in a bulk purchase today. The 3rd picture I’m guessing is some sort of Inside dimension measuring device?? Nothing seems to move when I turn the dial... maybe it’s frozen??

2nd are thickness gauges?? Of any value?

1st, I know what they are, just posted for fun.

f285a47c19d8f4bc15c66c227b32b2b7.jpg
b2af052426174e99a8117634b368220f.jpg
639294c9150f38890695de6dd6438686.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice micrometer set (but I'm partial to Brown & Sharpe). Nice bench top case.

Comparative drop gauges. Set to a dimension and then see if parts are over/under it. For high production.

The Mitutoyo is a tri-micrometer bore gage.

That's a nice micrometer set (but I'm partial to Brown & Sharpe). Nice bench top case.

Comparative drop gauges. Set to a dimension and then see if parts are over/under it. For high production.

The Mitutoyo is a tri-micrometer bore gage.

Thanks, the micrometer set is missing a few items but it will do. Any idea on the age of these micrometers? Can’t seem to find much info.. Thank you for the information also.

The age of the B& S mics is around 1960. Dad bought a set exactly like yours. Almost a months pay back then. Mom blew a fuse! What can I say. The set dad had got passed on to my little brother, as far as I know he still has them. Mom caught my little brother digging with two of them in the dirt in the yard way back when he was around 2-3 years old. I cleaned them up and put them back before dad found out. Believe me, if that was me, I wouldn't be typing this today. Little brother got away with murder!

I've got the same set of Brown & Sharpe micrometers. Perhaps mine is older as the "Brown and Sharpe" name is done in gold lettering. I paid 100 bucks for the set, buying it from an old friend. Interestingly, the mikes in my set are marked "I & SE". This was a division of General Electric known as "Installation and Service Engineering".

I & SE sent out erecting engineers mainly on steam turbine and generator installation and service work, and sometimes took on contracts for entire jobs on their equipment.

What is furnished with each mike in my set is a "standard bar" to calibrate the micrometers to. The exception is the 0-1" mike, which has a hardened and ground disc 1.0000" diameter.

One or two mikes in my set were replaced with Starrett, no complaints from me about that. I find the set to be quite handy in my shop. Amongst machinists and toolmakers and millwrights there was often some little controversy as to which firm: Starrett or Brown & Sharpe, made the better tools. While the bulk of my machinist tools are Starrett, what I do have from Brown & Sharpe seems to have at least as good, if not a better finish and feel to it.

The demise of Brown & Sharpe is a sad thing. They produced a full line of machinist's tools, maybe not quite so diversified as Starrett, but very well designed and made. Towards the end, I bought a 6" machinist rule made by B & S, and it came out of England. Looking in my chests, I found a pair of Brown and Sharpe firm joint outside calipers and an automatic center punch- all made in England. I've got a couple of small dial indicators reading in tenths, Brown and Sharpe's name is on them, but they are Swiss made. I do not know when Brown & Sharpe finally got out of manufacturing high quality machinist tools in Rhode Island. Years ago, we were having a planer mill rebuilt, and the ways were being hand scraped. The machinist doing the scraping was an oldtimer, and he told me he was a veteran of Brown and Sharpe. As he told it to me, he worked in the machine tool division, and all scraping was done by hand. No talking on the shop floor between machinists was permitted, even into the 1970s. When they were rough-scraping to break up a machined surface or remove a lot of metal, this fellow said it was not uncommon to have the chips coming off smoking hot. What he told me was there was a strike by the workforce at Brown and Sharpe, probably in the late 1970's or early 1980's (I forget when he said it was). It was a long strike, neither side giving any ground, and things were stalemated for months. When the strike ended, Brown and Sharpe management decided to close up shop as far as making precision grinders and other machine tools. It would seem likely that they started sending the machinists' measuring instrument and hand tool work overseas at that point, keeping only a corporate headquarters and distribution operation in Rhode Island.

@4GSR, a months pay back then? Wow! My wife would kill me if I bought some like this in today’s money.

@ Joe Michaels, very interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Back