What's new
What's new

Tool post conversion

I bought an early Harrison 13 lathe. I need toupgrade the tool post. What should I measure or be looking for? This is primarily a hobby lathe for me

As mentioned, you first need to know height from top of compound rest to center line of spindle.

Now knowing that number, lets assume Aloris style qctp. They are sized axa, bxa, cxa etc. I think you'll want either bxa or cxa. No need to guess. Go to Aloris website. Google both bxa and cxa for their site. Look the dimensions of tp. Now google bxa-1, and cxa-1. The tool holders. Look at dimension of tool holder, and figure its mounting on tool post.

You want adjustment range to go above and below that centerline number you measured.

CXA was perfect on my ( actual swing 14 1/2" ) 12" Pratt & Whitney. If the Harrison is nearer 13" actual swing maybe a BXA would be a better fit

As mentioned, you first need to know height from top of compound rest to center line of spindle.

Now knowing that number, lets assume Aloris style qctp. They are sized axa, bxa, cxa etc. I think you'll want either bxa or cxa. No need to guess. Go to Aloris website. Google both bxa and cxa for their site. Look the dimensions of tp. Now google bxa-1, and cxa-1. The tool holders. Look at dimension of tool holder, and figure its mounting on tool post.

You want adjustment range to go above and below that centerline number you measured.

You also need to know/decide what size tool bits you will use. I use a QCTP that can hold 3/4" tool bits, but I use 1/2" tool bits, so I need a riser under my tool post.

You subtract the tool bit height from the compound to lathe center. Then the balance is the maximum thickness of the support flange under the tool bit on the toolholder.

Larry

Back