What's new
What's new

TOS S32 Lathe Oils?

XR750

Plastic
Hi to all at PM. I recently became the new owner of a 1974 TOS S32 that was nearly scrapped. After lots of stripping, cleaning and painting it's ready to be fired up, that is once I find oil for the spindle gearbox etc and the apron gearbox. I have the manual, but there is no mention of the type oils to use. I have contacted TOS in Czechoslovakia regarding the oils to use. They recommend Shell Morlina S2 BL 5, TDS here: https://hand.net.pl/wp-content/uplo...d_Kingdom_Shell_Morlina_S2_BL_5_en-GB_TDS.pdf

I believe the crucial part is that the oil is Viscosity Grade 5

Unfortunately this oil is not available here in Australia. I have tried to contact Shell Australia. Useless. No reply. No technical phone help.

I visited Mobil, who were very helpful. Velocite 4 is their recommendation. Guess what? it's not available here in Australia. Mobil suggest blending Velocite 3 & Velocite 6 50/50, to give a version of Velocite 4. These oils are available here. That's OK but I will need to purchase double the amount of oil to create what I need. If that's my only option then I accept that.

Apron: Oil type unknown.

Any positive help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Here's a few snaps of the old girl...

IMG_20191108_110236.jpg

IMG_20191122_181906.jpg

IMG_20200126_192225.jpg

Last edited:
Its old. Put in what is available - like Velocite 6. This is ISO 10 which is very light oil

If apron oilers actually still oil ways and slides put in Vactra 2 - and if the ways and slides are not getting lube put that on manually liberally - including back end of cross slide and its screw

A good thing about antique machinery - some oil is way way better than no oil

Velocite #6 is very light...It is specified for Twin Disc torque converters in the turbine section.. Velocite #10 is what I used for the spindle bearings in my 16" Southbend lathe...Velocite #6 is about like kerosene or diesel fuel as some Twin Disc torque converters do in fact use diesel fuel for the turbine section.....Velocite #10 is about like 3 in 1 oil.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Nice looking job, handy tool the baby TOS.

FWIW I'd be guided by what John Oder says, ….he's been round the block a few times ;)

WARNING don't worry if the headstock get's ''quite warm'', IME TOS lathes tend to run a good bit hotter then most - it's what they do ;)

Thanks for the informative replies, they're much appreciated.
My gut feeling was to use the Mobil Velocite No.6, but thought it was best to check first with people that have real world hands on knowledge, (you guys) Cheers. So yes I will use Mobil Velocite No.6
I've taken note of the headstock heating up, not a place to leave a micrometer. Thanks for the heads up.
Would the Velocite oil also be OK in the Carriage / Apron? It does not oil the ways, only the gears etc. It has a cam driven piston pump, that pumps oil up to a small reservoir that is then felt filtered to supply gravity fed copper oil lines to various gears and bearings. The photo shows what was discovered when first opened up, it was stripped and thoroughly cleaned with kerosene and is now awaiting fresh oil.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

IMG_20191115_193208.jpg

A quick update. I went with the Mobil Velocite No. 6
A$147 (U$98.50) for 20L. Everything is working as it should without any leaks.
Thanks again to all that helped.

I found the following information regarding Shell Morlina S2 BL5 that may help others...

1L Shell Morlina S2 BL 5

Description
Shell Morlina S2 BL 5 is an ISO VG 5 grade Bearing and Circulating Oil.

Shell Morlina S2 BL oils are special low viscosity, solvent refined mineral oils blended with zinc free additives, to provide extended performance in the high speed spindles of machine tools.

Please note that due to the volatility of this oil, it will be sent in a metal tin.

Approvals/Specification
Cincinnati Milacron P-62
Previous Names/Substitutions
This oil has undergone various name changes during its lifetime, but the specification of the oil has remained the same and the previous equivalent names for this oil are as follows

Shell Morlina 5
Shell Morlina HS 5
Shell Spindle Oil 5 (Substituted)
Shell Tellus 5 (Substituted)

Cincinnati Milacron P-62
Cincinnati Milacron are an American machinery manufacturer. To simplify specification of machine oils for their machines, they adopted an approved products list, grouping oils from various manufacturers into categories with minimum specifications. Instead of specifying one particular manufacturer of oil for their machines, they suggest you choose an oil from the approved products list in the relevant category.

This oil appears in the P-62 category. The following oils are also approved under the P-62 category. If an oil is present on this list, it is a good indication that it is of similar specification to this oil, and could possibly be substituted, however, additional checks should be made with the manufacturers data sheets before substituting.

Ace Lube Spinoil 00
Americhem #10 Spindle Oil
Amoco Spindle Oil A
Atlantic Richfield Duro 10
BP Energol HLP-10
Chevron A.W. Machine Oil 10
Esso Spinesstic 10
Esso Spinesso 10
Gulf Gulfspin 10
Mobil Velocite Oil #6
Shell Tellus 10
Sun Solnus 10