UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tree Tool & Die Works - Vertical Milling Machine

Default Tree Tool & Die - Tree Milling Machine
    I have a Tree Milling Machine - It has been in our shop for as long as I can remember. It has multiple Manufacturers' ID plates on the components of the machine. I have photos of the Machine and the ID plates.
    It runs and has been operated until the last few months. The patent# on the Head is 2491940. I will furnish more information and pictures if requested as I would like to positively identify the age etc., of this machine.
    Thank you! For any help and information anyone can provide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread is a perfect copy of the one you've started two days ago in the Cincinnati Milacron, Kearney Trecker, VN, USA Heavy Iron forum: unless you provide more details and the promised pictures, I don't think you'll get any reply here either.

Paolo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Tree Tool & Die Works - Pictures_Page_1

Thank you for the advice! Please find some pictures of the Milling Machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tree-tool-die-works-milling-machine_americanmachineryco_idtag_feb-27-2019_0639_edited-1.jpg   tree-tool-die-works-milling-machine_patentno_feb-27-2019_0628_edited-1.jpg   tree-tool-die-works-milling-machine_patentno_on_head_feb-27-2019_0623_edited-1.jpg   tree-tool-die-works-milling-machine_spindlegearmotor_idtag_feb-27-2019_0621_edited-1.jpg   treemillingmach_feedgm_idtag_feb-25-2019_0409_edited-1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Tree Milling Machine - Pictures_Page_2

Additional Pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails treemillmach_li_machpaternwks_idtag_117_edited-1.jpg   treemillmach_fairbanks_morsegm_spindleedited-1.jpg   treemillingmach_treeemblem_feb-25-2019_0392_edited-1.jpg   treemillingmach_spindlespds_feb-25-2019_0403_edited-1.jpg   treemillingmach_lowerlsideview_cabinetidplate_feb-25-2019_0400_edited-1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Tree Milling Machine - Pictures_Page_3

Additional pictures of Milling machinetreemillingmach_rearview_feb-25-2019_0405_edited-1.jpgtreemillingmach_leftsideviewfeb-25-2019_0399_edited-1.jpgtreemillingmach_frontview_feb-25-2019_0404_edited-1.jpgtree-tool-die-works-milling-machine_rsidefullview_feb-27-2019_0636_edited-1.jpgAttachment 252376
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails treemillingmach_feedspds_feb-25-2019_0396_edited-1.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like you have a tree-brand vertical head grafted to the overarm of a Oesterlein Machine Co. universal horizontal milling machine. A quick glance to Cope's book tell me that your mill was produced sometime between 1903 and 1910. The gearbox on the back seems a distinctive feature of that specific model.
    Oesterlein produced milling machines from 1898 to circa 1920.

The vertical head is obviously much more recent. Adapting a vertical head to an horizontal mill was relatively common practice.

Paolo

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I recall, Tree got started making vertical heads only, for mounting on other manufacturers machines (as shown here) before they began offering complete machines of their own. They offered various brackets for mounting their head to various manufacturers overarms. Elkind, K&T, and Rusnok did the same.

Andy

8. Likes LuAdams liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the head is the Tree MH-4. I don't know when they were made but it is much more modern than the mill. Probably late fifty's or the sixties.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)