What's new
What's new

Truck Chassis Becomes a Machine Tool?

Peter S

Diamond
I saw this on the local auction website.

My guess is truck chassis + blacksmiths drill + electric motor = a good example of what guys used to do when they had junk lying around, were clever and had no money or alternatives available e.g. war time or depression.

I like the way the chassis taper is included. Cross member and front chassis horns too.

"Champion Blower & Forge Co, Lancaster, PA" is my guess at the full name.

Champion blower and forge 07.jpg Champion blower and forge 05 edit.jpg Champion blower and forge 06.jpg Champion blower and forge 09 edit.jpg Champion blower and forge 10.jpg

Popular Mechanics magazine put out a book, I think in the ‘30s on how to make machine and woodworking tools from scrap, old car parts and pipe fittings. Of course today the value of the antique car parts would far out cost buying comparable tools. It is a fun read. I think Lindsay might have republished it?

JD Langport.jpg

I can't offer anything machinery-related, but here's a local footbridge over a ditch. Invert chassis, fill with cement, scratch crazy paving pattern, leave trip hazards intact to discourage cyclists.;)

Rescued a Pfeil plain lathe whose countershaft arrangement is a piece of black plate with a couple of early motor conn rods welded to it for the shaft to run in the little end bushes! I guess it must have been a garage lathe at some time(instead of the more usual small Drummond) And the nut repairs (in the absence of another machine to do them on) for the compound rest are something else!

Back