What's new
What's new

Is this some kind of wood splitter ratchet

choatpadda

Plastic
Trying to figure out what this was used for. Has ratchet handle, weighs about 8lbs. Marking on handle looks like F388, F338 ??
Thanks!!20180226_182555.jpg20180226_182555.jpg

Attachments

• 20180225_162522.jpg
    20180225_162522.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Chamfer Reamer for Pipe

This is used to ream a chamfer on the INSIDE of a metal pipe after the pipe is cut.

Some pipe cutters will roll a burr into the inside of the pipe. This tool removes that burr.

John Ruth

It is some type of hand reader. Maybe for removing the ridge from the inside of pipe after the pipe is cut.
Another possibility is for reaming a tapered hole in wood such as the bung hole in a wooden wine barrel.
A little Googling might shed some light on the actual purpose for this dreamer.
Bruce

It is Not a Cooper's Tool.

I sensed a need to hurry my typing on this one, as I was fairly sure others would also know.

The tool in the OP is definitely for reaming metal pipe rather than wooden barrels. Look at the blade!

This is not like any "Cooper's Bung Borer" I've ever seen. Those have a tee-handle to apply symmetrical pressure and the angle of the blade is quite shallow because half the cut is with the grain and the other half is across the grain. Most of them have a nose which looks like a wood-auger bit with a lead screw, so it drills its own pilot hole. Since half the work is "end grain", the pilot auger is usually of the "Cook's Patent" pattern, which excels at end grain work.

(On the other hand, sharpening a Cook's Patent auger is quite difficult!)

Here's an eBay of what I'm writing about:
BUNG hole auger coopers barrel HAND DRILL ANTIQUE TOOL WOOD HANDLE TAPERED | eBay

The tool in the OP is almost identical in form to a Ridgid 34945. The difference is the OP tool's handle isn't removable.

John Ruth

I have a similar tool,it’s a Toledo 530. Definitely a pipe reamer. Mine has a straight handle instead of the pommel. Also the ratchet is enclosed. Works fine.

Back