What's new
What's new

Trying to locate a Brown & Sharpe slotting attachement.

henriexx9

Plastic
I am trying to locate a slotting attachment for a Brown & Sharpe mill. Please advise if you know where one could be located.

I the one pictured along with the vertical supports for an older B&S Horizontal. I do not have the vertical head.

Attachments

• Attachments.jpg
    Attachments.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 392
Thanks so much for the reply, this is my first time using the forum and still on a learning curve to use the system.

The mill I have is a Brown and Sharpe #2 universal mill made in 1951 and has 2 support arms and a #40 taper. It looks like the slotting attachment in the photo has one support arm. However, the slotting component looks very much like the one that would be on my machine. It would be of use to me if I could build a or adapt it to a different mounting. Could you send more detailed closeup photos ie back, sides, top and bottom?
I already have the support members and right angle drive so I would just be interested the item to the far right in the photo.

Thanks for the reply, good advise.
My thoughts were that I did not want to preclude any response hoping I would find something from any model and could adapt it or modify it to fit my machine. Ideally, I would like to find a slotting attachment that fit a 1951, Brown and Sharpe #2 universal mill with a #40 taper.

I the one pictured along with the vertical supports for an older B&S Horizontal. I do not have the vertical head.

Thanks so much for the reply, this is my first time using the forum and still on a learning curve to use the system.

The mill I have is a Brown and Sharpe #2 universal mill made in 1951 and has 2 support arms and a #40 taper. It looks like the slotting attachment in the photo has one support arm. However, the slotting component looks very much like the one that would be on my machine. It would be of use to me if I could build a or adapt it to a different mounting. Could you send more detailed closeup photos ie back, sides, top and bottom?
I already have the support members and right angle drive so I would just be interested the item to the far right in the photo.

I have one, but don't know if I want to sell it. You are welcome to give me a call Dave Jones 304 7671317 I tried to upload photo, but as has happened in the past I am unable to post photos to PM

Last edited:
I think that the attachment you are looking for does not have any provision for attaching to the overarm. It centers on the spindle bearing and is held in place like the accessory vertical heads. I have one (I'm the guy who was looking for one a few years ago. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow. I also probably have the appropriate catalog that will illustrate it so I'll take a look for that too.

jp

IMG_20180921_142056896.jpgIMG_20180921_133707336.jpg[ATTACH
=CONFIG]238536._xfImport[/ATTACH]
This attachment fits a #2 lite universal,It attaches to the over arms and is bolted at the bottom,just like the vertical head.It drives directly off the spindle,no gear like the k&t has.

Looking for one of these B&S Slotter heads as well so will just add a reply post here... instead of starting another thread.

If someone has one gathering dust or knows of one FS for the mid 1950's B&S No 2 mills (50 taper), please PM me?
Thanks again,
Jeff P

Last edited:
Post #13 says he has pictures soon. Maybe either of us of gets lucky.

To be more clear; these may look like junk. Over decades many were discarded as such. Nobody knew then, about Practical Machinist and other sites which allow discussion of antique machinery. From that, we know there are others who preserved that history and seek the remaining attachments for their working machines. Even with the older machine shops gone down, Somebody saved that attachment. I could have said that 30 years ago but it is getting too ripe now. Time to find and unload it to its work mate.

I remember rummaging around the machinery junk yards in Houston in the 1970's with my dad, and seeing many attachments piled up in the corners of the buildings. Had I known back then what some of that stuff was, dad may had let me drag it home with me. I know there were a few slotting attachments, all sorts of gear sets to dividing heads but no dividing heads, and just junk! When these machinery dealers went out of business, they would come in with front end loaders and shovel that stuff up, including machines, and in the dumpster it went. So sad.

About 14 years ago, I ran across another storage building where they had stored some machines to sell off. Some one bought a Van Norman mill out of that building and left all of the attachments behind including a slotting head. I tried to get it, but no luck. Dumpster it went I'm sure.

Last edited:
Any updates on this topic?

Still looking for a B&S slotter... Put in my request with Santa already ;)

Thanks Jeff P

Any updates on this topic?

Still looking for a B&S slotter... Put in my request with Santa already ;)

Thanks Jeff P

Earlier in this thread, 99Panhard mentioned the way these mount. So yours would have a base which accepts two OAs and two bolts to secure it, as shown by boomerang69. My friend's #2 B&S universal is older and has a cone shape spindle protruding. No threads but has slots for face keys. It is clamped to the vertical dovetail ways and one OA, centered by the spindle drive.

Back