What's new
What's new

Tuckahoe show starts tomorrow

Paolo_MD

Stainless
The title says it all, or almost.
Come and visit us! The weather is supposed to be less hot than today, with some risk of rain only for Friday.

As usual, there will be a lot going on at the Machine Shop Museum: a few hands-on demonstrations, like hand scraping, drilling holes in cast iron the old way and, new this year, making some (PVC) chips on a South Bend lathe for the youngsters.

We have a few machines (Garvin N° 3 horizontal mill, Rockford gearhead lathe, and K O Lee T&C grinder) and projects (Barnes upright drill, 7x12" horizontal bandsaw) for sale and tomorrow evening I will update with pictures and asking prices.

Denis Foster (dgfoster) graciously donated to us a raw casting of one of his 36" Featherweight Straightedge to be machined, scraped and raffled off.

All about machining and scraping it will be documented in this other thread, whereas here you can find instructions on how to get raffle tickets.

There are only 150 tickets and I suspect that they'll go fast. Get yours before it's too late!

We will update this post with info and pictures from the show.

Stay tuned!

Paolo

The show is now in full swing. Our hands-on turning demonstration for juniors is a great success. Let's hope it helps inoculating the bug of machining in at least some of them!

As promised, I'll upload now the pictures of the machines, tools and projects we have for sale (prices are negotiable, especially nearing the end of the show).

Paolo

Garvin No. 3 Universal Mill

DSC00766.JPG

http://www.medeo.net/PM_Pics/TuckForSale/Garvin/Large/DSC00766.JPG
DSC00766.JPG

Very sturdy and massive. It is fairly complete and without visible damage. The table has been removed for transportation, the gib is together with the table.

$600

Last edited:
Rockford Gearhead lathe w. taper attachment, 2 chucks

It had a rough life, but all the gears appear to be in good shape and, with just some TLC could give back hours of pure pleasure.

$750

For those who want to see how they ran machinery in the old days you have to go visit Tuckahoe as it is probably the best example of preserved belt driven machinery in the USA if not in the world. It was my honor to have taught a scraping class there a couple of years ago. Paolo is a Volunteer as many many other people have and do to make it so amazing. They also have an amazing collection of steam tractors. Rich

Quick announcement:
This afternoon and tomorrow we will set up a hands-on scraping demo outside the Museum: you'll have your chance to lay down your scraping marks on Denis' Featherweight!

Paolo

I had the pleasure of being on the eastern shore for other reasons, and managed to sneak over to the show and see the shop and meet Paolo. It was a good setup, and I'd recommend it to anyone who gets the chance. Hats off to all the volunteers there.

allan

Back