What's new
What's new

Turret lathe box tools?

DocsMachine

Titanium
Is there such a thing as a "large capacity" box tool for a small turret lathe?

Most of what I'm finding in a 5/8" or 3/4" shank, can only do up to a 3/8" or 1/2" part. I realize some of that has to do with long parts needing clearance down the middle of a hollow shank.

Is it possible to find a box tool (turning tool, roller tool, etc.) with a 3/4" shank that can turn an inch or so of 1" stock?

Doc.

Not a direct answer to your Q, but;-

The first thing to check is;- is there enough room (turret centre height) for a larger box tool to clear the turret slide when indexing? .......... Brit roller boxes that size tend to be physically quite ''chunky''

If so, your easiest way out could be to get a larger shanked tool and graft a new shank on.

If the OD really is close to an inch, I would favor a knee tool for this job.

Never seen a box tool that size, for smaller lathes.

The short answer is "no". You might be able to find it if you are using a turret that allows bolt-on tooling. Those have a flange which bolts onto a flat hexagon turret face with a full thru-hole. It is not held by a shank at all. I believe the rigidity is your problem, and the reason they are not available. That said, the Somma Accu-Set Att0 tool list a capacity of 7/8" Dia. x 1-7/8" length: Somma Tool Co. - Accu-set

s there enough room (turret centre height) for a larger box tool to clear the turret slide when indexing?

-That was, in part, the question. My new turret is a conventional hex with 3/4" bores for my 11" Logan. Each face is only about 2-1/2" square and the whole turret only about 6" in diameter.

Looking on eBay, while most dealers rarely list the tool's capacity, it looks like anything that can do an inch OD or so, are pretty large pieces- close to the size of the turret itself.

If so, your easiest way out could be to get a larger shanked tool and graft a new shank on.

-I'd considered that. For example getting a 1" shank tool, cutting the shank off, and welding on a flange mount. Then drilling and tapping the flat face of the turret, similar to the old Warner-Swaseys.

Not the best solution, obviously, but at least an option.

If the OD really is close to an inch, I would favor a knee tool for this job.

-Actually, the job at hand (recurring) starts with schedule-80 tubing, which is 1.055" nominal OD. So technically, the tool would need to be able to accept 1-1/6", which is also about the max OD for 5C.

I'm having trouble even finding knee tools of that capacity, with a 5/8" or 3/4" shank. Are there suppliers out there with good selections and decent prices I don't know about?

Doc.

Again prob not the answer you're looking for Doc, but there's not much to an ordinary knee tool, and even easier with an inserted tip tool.

L shaped chunk of thick (3-4 X tool shank height??) plate, and a shank, bit of milling and you're good to go.

Doc;
Do you really think a round 5/8" or 3/4" hole in a turret can handle the torque? Could you use the cross slide with a form tool for the job?
Jim

--Actually, the job at hand (recurring) starts with schedule-80 tubing, which is 1.055" nominal OD. So technically, the tool would need to be able to accept 1-1/6", which is also about the max OD for 5C.
Doc.

Doc,
Please send more details, why the box tool ? 1.055" turned for only an inch or
so is quite stout, unless you lathe will not allow the pipe thru the spindle,
and the part is hanging out pretty far, I ask why not just single point turning ?

As far as torque capability, we don't have a D.O.C. mentioned yet.

I don't have my W&S attachment book in front of me, but just picked up
the cutest little box tool friday, similar to the Somma, but with the retract
lever, and the "swinging" roller's, as opposed to Somma's "sliding way"
rollers. will have to look it up for capacity, or measure it.

L shaped chunk of thick (3-4 X tool shank height??) plate, and a shank, bit of milling and you're good to go.

-Oh, I know, but I figured if I could find a few cheap on eBay, it'd beat having to make 'em. My to-do list is already about four times longer than I can be expected to live. :D

Have you looked for "hollow mills"?

-I was given to understand those needed a pretty rigid setup, or they'd chatter. How well does something like that work on smaller turrets?

Do you really think a round 5/8" or 3/4" hole in a turret can handle the torque?

-I don't know. That's why I'm asking. I don't need to take particularly heavy cuts, and most of the parts I make are aluminum.

Please send more details, why the box tool ?

-Two reasons, sort of. One was the somewhat self-guiding nature of the roller tool (especially since it can be set to guide on a previously machined surface) and second was the retractable cutting tool that at least the larger box tools tend to have (though I'm finding that the smaller ones don't.)

Also, since my turrets are all older pieces with some wear, that's another count for that degree of self-guiding. The cutting force tends to be merely torque, rather than pushing on a locating pin.

I've mainly dealt with fixed tools up 'til now, and I'm looking to expand my skillset, so to speak.

Doc.

Back