What's new
What's new

Is this type of facemill obsolete?

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I picked up this 4.75" facemill in a recent auction lot. Its on a 40 taper, but my van Norman takes 50 taper so I'll likely sell the arbor.

Is this type of facemill obsolete in today's insert tooling world? If it has no value, I'll likely take all but one of the HSS inserts out and use it as a fly cutter. And save the other inserts for other oddball/brazed tooling needs.

Thanks,

Lee
2307496d81c3bcaa9343147b2e49221a.jpg
e89cf7b8f984eb5f9661da1818cbd01c.jpg
f300aa1a1251a0e95bf0e1e2c18c5f48.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, it's obsolete. Still quite useable at HSS speeds. The biggest drawback is that you really need a tool&cutter grinder to maintain it. 2nd drawback is unavailability of replacement inserts, I have one or two cutters of that general vintage (and a T&C grinder) and will discard them when I run out of insert length to sharpen.

Thanks both for the confirmation.

I do have a T&CG, but also have a few other options for carbide insert facemills of that size, already on 50 taper (or 45 taper, for my Weldon quick change).

Mainly just wanted to make sure nobody was likely to get upset before I handicap a perfectly serviceable tool

Thanks again :)

Lee

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Also a great example (in the photos) of HSS being run by the uninformed at excessive speeds. Made the cutters AND the workpiece look terrible

Back