What's new
What's new

U.S. Auto Box Match Co., Roslindale, MA

DanLinsch

Aluminum
Not much information on this angle plate I picked up at an auction several years ago, but it sure makes me curious... Is this a one off angle plate? Heavy, well made, 8"x10" top by 8½" tall. Has anyone ever heard of this company in MA? Or ever seen something similar to this?

Just wondering...

Dan

20190415_155420.jpg20190415_155437.jpg20190415_155453.jpg20190415_155514.jpg

Not much information on this angle plate I picked up at an auction several years ago, but it sure makes me curious... Is this a one off angle plate? Heavy, well made, 8"x10" top by 8½" tall. Has anyone ever heard of this company in MA? Or ever seen something similar to this?

Just wondering...

Dan

View attachment 276603View attachment 276601View attachment 276604View attachment 276602

It's a former OWNER's markings, may or may not have been made "in house".
Probably not.

Try this search term:

"United States Automatic Box Machinery Company, Roslindale, MA"

They made package filling and padding equipment from at least the early 1920's. Seem to have scarpered-off to a lower-labour cost area by the late 1980's, been reorganized, sold, or merged.

If that is an "owner's marking", I have a somewhat larger sized ( 12x18 )

version of the same table with the exact same markings.

It is on a high and dirty shelf and I am not competent to post photos

without the aid of my younger generation.

If that is an "owner's marking", I have a somewhat larger sized ( 12x18 )

version of the same table with the exact same markings.

It is on a high and dirty shelf and I am not competent to post photos

without the aid of my younger generation.

From the time-span of what shows-up, one could presume their machinery at least started-out, 1920's - with most of its structure being of Iron castings, rather than weldments or cleverly bent, folded, or stamped "shit-metal".

Could was, their pattern-making, mould, and foundry skills were "spun out" as an earner of opportunity revenue in between major machine mold changes? And/or after they switched to weldments & c. A presumption, but "probable".

Think examples such as Boeing providing "BCS" IBM mainframe computing services, "Cadillac Gage" making armoured vehicles, Hamilton Watch making bitchin' good all-mechanical Dial Indicators before selling that division to Dorsey Gage, and more than a few other firms branching out to make "extra" money off one of their expertise and/or production assets.

Yep, that was me last April posting the photos and asking about this table. A little different from your News, but the similarities are striking. But the reply by Peterson above leads me to believe that these may not have been an owners name stamping. As heavy as mine is, I can't imagine lifting his around much without a crane.

Dan

Back