What's new
What's new

UNION TOOL CHEST and CASE - HISTORIES

toolboxted

Aluminum
From my research I’ve come up with some info that may be preliminary, but it’s a start. I’ll be updating this site as things develop. At least here are some firm, recorded, dates. This applies to Machinist Tool Chests and Cases.

Union Tool Chest Works (UTCW), Rochester, NY, was founded in 1914 by G. N. Perkins, the president of American Drafting Furniture Co. (ADFC), Rochester, NY. ADFC was established in 1893. These two companies were operating in the same building on Railroad Street.
UTCW period date for cases and chests would be 1914 – 1918.

In 1918 UTCW changed their name to Union Tool Chest Co., Inc. (UTCC), Rochester, NY, Gilman N Perkins – pres.
UTCC period date for cases and chests would be 1918 – 1928.

On Feb 7, 1929 UTCC changed their name again to Union Chest and Cabinet Corp. (UCCC), Rochester, NY, Gilman N Perkins – pres. UCCC’s last year of business was in 1932.
UCCC period date for cases and chests would be 1929 – 1932.
I have not yet found a nameplate for this company, except for one embossed in a metal toolbox.
ADFC is still in business.

I don’t have recorded records, yet, for the following:
In 1932 – 1933 apparently 3 former employees of UCCC bought the marketing rights to the tool case and chest business and relocated to LeRoy, NY. Their new business was named Union Steel Chest Corp (USCC). As their name implies, they were primarily in the steel chest manufacturing business.
However, they continued to offer wooden machinist tool cases and chests. To do this they had ADFC continue building wood cases and chests for them. USCC was essentially an assembly and marketing company for this line. They continued this business until about 1953 when they pulled the plug on this line.
USCC period date for cases and chests would be 1933 – 1953.
USCC sold cases and chests to Sears Roebuck Co. and Union Tool Corp. in Orange, MA.

It is commonly thought that Union built the Lufkin Tool Co. machinist tool chests. What actually happened was that Lufkin also bought the chests from ADFC and did their own assembly and marketing.

I still need product brochures or catalogs for the above companies. If you have any, please post copies and/or email to me. I have received one from UTCW, Thanks to a member!
If any of you live in the Santa Barbara, CA area I have found that the U of C has a private collection that includes some. But, they’re not available on-line, you must make copies in person. If you could be willing, please email me for more details.
My email is [email protected].

My wooden toolbox was made by a company called " Union ". It isn't of the greatest quality compared with the " Moore and Wright " boxes that some people had then but it's done me fine for 40 odd years. My impression is that it's of Eastern European origin. I bought it from a catalogue for about £ 8.00 back in the early 1970's, the equivalent " Moore and Wright " box cost nearly twice as much at around £14 at that time. I was earning about £24 a week then.

Regards Tyrone.

Hey Tyrone,
I agree, there was a European 'Union' also. I seriously doubt there was any connection with the USA Union, but I don't have proof. Wellington was another English manufacturer besides Moore and Wright.
Have a good one.

Hello Troops,
Just wanted to let you know that I’ve put ‘The’ Guide for Period Dating Gerstner ----- on its own web page so anybody, at any time, can access it. Please feel free to share the URL with anybody you please. https://sites.google.com/site/theguidegerstnertoolchests/home

I have also put ‘The’ Guide for Union Tool Chests on its own web page. Please feel free to also share the URL with anybody you please. This one is a work in progress. https://sites.google.com/site/theguideuniontoolchests/home

Both sites will be updated as needed. I still need copies of Union brochures to further develop its site. There are some available in Santa Barbara, CA, U of C. If you could help to obtain copies in person, please let me know.

Thanks and have a good one.
Ted
[email protected]

Mine has a differant sticker under plack it says in black letters with orange back ground words tool chest works Rochester n.y. over in bigger font it says union in bold. So weird. Plack says"J.M. Waterston tools and cutlery Detroit mich. Any ideas why mine is differant?

Hi Lana,
Your chest or case is apparently manufactured by Union Tool Chest Works, Rochester NY. They were operating under that name from 1909 – 1918.
J.M. Waterston, Detroit, were a secondary supplier and the actual sellers of your unit. This isn’t unusual, I also own one. If you would like to know more about Union, go to this site - 'The' Guide for Wooden Machinist Tool Chests, pre-1960
I don’t yet know how to post pictures either…….Ted

.I've got my Dad's Union, it's either a DD or a DDD. Was a Leatherette finish. He probably bought it in Rochester as he worked there in the early 1930's. When I was about 14, I mercilessly (I know now) "restored' it. Admittedly it was in rough shape, and the leather was oil stained. So, I peeled off the Leather, sanded everything, varnished the door fronts, painted the box a 'nice' brown enamel, and installed new brass plated handle and corners. Yeesh. Wish I left it ALONE.

Hey dkmc, that's life. At least the leatherette covered ones aren't as collectable as solid oak. Have a good one.
Hi Toolboxted.... are you still around? The links you posted no longer work. Just an FYI. I gust got a vintage "Union Tool Chest Works" my sister refinished. It does look like someone altered it. I'd like to track it down. I'm very new here...

Thanks Tom that linked worked. I am looking for plans or blue prints for my chest. Some amateur antique person butchered the repair, wrong lock, chopped the two top drawers up to make the lock fit. I'd also kike to find the correct lock. Any ideas?
You can try the Gerstner site. They stock restoration locks (prominently marked with their brand name, of course). They stock other hardware and materials too. There is a resources page at The Guide site. Your only plans are the measurements from your chest. You will have to decide how much of the old box you are willing to replace with new wood.

Tom

Back