What's new
What's new

United States Machine Tool Company?

Smayjr

Plastic
Hi,
I'm a newbie to PM so please forgive me if I mess up.
I just purchased what appears to be a very old knee mill, made by US Machine Tool Co.,Cincinnati OH. Has anyone heard of this company. My stepdad has been a machinist for 30 years and has never heard of it. I can't find any much evidence of it's exsistence on the web. Thank you for your time.
Steven

i still have & use , since abt 1968 , a us machine tool horizontal hand mill .... maybe circa 1920 , spindle runs in massive bronze bush ....B&S 9 taper ..i have added a jackshaft to get 12 speeds down to 51 rpm ,& also an auxilliary screw feed for the x axis ..has elevating knee & head ....been a great machine for me...cut a lot of gears & fluted more than a few chambering reamers .....secret is to tool up so the capabilities are there....
this machine & the company later morphed into the burke co machines.....
some where i have some j pegs if ur interested
best wishes
docn8as

US Machine tool

See page 189 of American Machine Tool Builders by Kenneth Cope. I have one from about 1920 with very large sheaves. PS. I think they merged with Burke at some point. They produce the manual model #1 for many years with many improvements but the cast iron base remained the same for most of that time.

yep...heard of them

I own one..it's a dandy machine after getting some TLC.

Round column..never even think of climb cutting.

on the other hand no oddball motor to rebuild or buy...super easy to retrofit almost any motor.

J.Monroe is right..they were the "U.S." in U.S. Burke...which in time made the Millright.

David

Attachments

• DSC00005b.JPG
    DSC00005b.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,888
  • DSC00004b.JPG
    DSC00004b.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,193
  • DSC00006b.JPG
    DSC00006b.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,107
thank you David for posting pics of your mill. That looks just like mine plus some tlc. Mine has an old graham 1/4 horse power long. feed. Mine is a model VT with a serial number around 2600. Do you have any manuals or documentation for yours?
Steven

Mines a model V2...I'd have to check for the serial number.

The yahoo group Metalmaster mentioned has ALOT of good info..and some PDF manuals...if you can't find the manual let me know, I have one in about 15 pdf files a member of the group was kind enough to send me.

I have a 1hp motor...does the job.

Thank you J. Monroe, I'll look for that book. I never could get into world history etc. In school, but this kind of history and the research it takes to find it is addictive!
Thanks again
Steven

Here's an early one - Ser. No. 1133. Collets?

I am tryjng to help a fellow out that lives quite a distance from me. Any hints on what collet(s) this thing might take?

thanks
Rudd

Well, if you read back, Doc said his takes a Brown & Sharpe #9 taper.
If yours is also a B&S, you'll be pleased to hear that Grand Tool Supply in Teeterboro, NJ specializes in B&S tooling. (No relationship beyond having bought some items other than B&S tooling from them.) I have no idea of the source or quality of their B&S offerings. You should inquire of them. JRR

Man, I am getting old. I read the thread a couple times and only saw a reference to B&S taper with no size, and to the R-8. thanks SB.
I'll have the man give them a call, they don't show EM holders on the related web site. Collets can also be had from H&H Industrial - I got a bunch there.

thanks

info on the US Machine Tool Co.

I had one and liked it very much. Only sold it due to space issues and the some machines I wanted to keep more than this mill. It is BS9 and I had a full set of collets by 8ths, endmill holders, and a boring head. Below is some info I kept on it that was posted on this list.

This was posted on the Practical Machinest BBS.
No assurances that this is accurate.

1915:
The United States Machine Tool Co. was founded
in Cincinnati, Ohio.

1947:
United States Machine Tool Co. became the
US Machine Tool division of Ransohoff Co.

1948:
US Machine Tool division of Ransohoff Co. merged
with Burke Machine Tool and became US Burke Machine Tool Co.

In the 70s:
US Burke became part of Powermatic/Houdaille

Early to mid 80s:
The Cincinnati facility closed.

I'll post a pic or two for the fun of it. I _really_ did like that mill. Built like tank and a 9"+ x 38" table.

- Reed

Hi,
I'm a newbie to PM so please forgive me if I mess up.
I just purchased what appears to be a very old knee mill, made by US Machine Tool Co.,Cincinnati OH. Has anyone heard of this company. My stepdad has been a machinist for 30 years and has never heard of it. I can't find any much evidence of it's exsistence on the web. Thank you for your time.
Steven

Attachments

• USMachineToolMillDirty-s.jpg
    USMachineToolMillDirty-s.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,227
  • USMachine-Right copy.jpg
    USMachine-Right copy.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2,089
  • USMachineToolMillSemiClean-s.jpg
    USMachineToolMillSemiClean-s.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,219
Last edited:
I wonder if the current company has any records of U.S.M. sales....like Southbend did.

I'd love to have alittle History on my paticular Mill.

I love seeing more surviving examples of what I think is a wonderfully useful machine.

David

Back