What's new
What's new

Unknown Caliper

I also found 2 manual Sears and Roebuck and Co. shotgun shell loader/crimpers. I think that they are from around 1910-1920. And also 2 Goodall Pratt hand drills and wooden box planes and 2 wooden Craftsman folding wood and brass rulers. There was also a fancy wooden plane that had wooden screws and was made of what appeared to be a large piece of crown moulding. Maybe a moulding plane? I think it was made by Ohio tool co. It is in beautiful condition.

Please post some pictures of the wooden planes. There are several of us here that can tell you more about them.
The one that you describe as having wooden screws sounds like a plow (plough) plane.These had cutters of different widths for cutting (plowing) a groove parallel to an edge. Some were made form exotic wood and can be quite elaborate.
Rick W

Please post some pictures of the wooden planes. There are several of us here that can tell you more about them.
The one that you describe as having wooden screws sounds like a plow (plough) plane.These had cutters of different widths for cutting (plowing) a groove parallel to an edge. Some were made form exotic wood and can be quite elaborate.
Rick W

Thanks Rick, I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can. My camera is currently out in California with my husband. I had to bribe my son to take a picture of the caliper on the original post with his IPad and post it for me. Guess I'll have to bribe him again!

Tamara

SalemRule
The caliper that I have is marked W.E. TRUFANT WHITMAN, MASS. on the upper side of one leg.
On the reverse of the same leg PAT.APR.28,'03
Rule is marked The L.S.S. Co. Athol, Mass. Tempered No. 10

Steve

SalemRule
The caliper that I have is marked W.E. TRUFANT WHITMAN, MASS. on the upper side of one leg.
On the reverse of the same leg PAT.APR.28,'03
Rule is marked The L.S.S. Co. Athol, Mass. Tempered No. 10

Steve

Yeah, I think the Lee Valley example has the Patent Date on the reverse as well. It's just hard to see as they did no close-up.

Back