What's new
What's new

Unknown "front-way" lathe

Are my eyes deceiving me or is there a helical groove in the spindle between the front of the headstock and the middle rectangular frame? Could have be used to pump something back and forth with the spindle rotaion?

I think it's a flaw in the photo. The "groove" also appears in the lead screw.

It's an interesting design. I've seen some large German engine lathes with ways on the front to allow two carriages to run and not hit the tailstock.

Well spotted - but I'm afraid that it just one of a series of lines in the original photograph - other are visible crossing the leadscrew. Everybody probably knows this already but if you hold down the Ctrl key and roll the mouse button it changes the image size.

Very nice piece! The legs appear to be of a different make,adapted to fit. Not meaning to hijack the thread,but I've tried the "official way"to enter unusual machines on your website to share with people,but the entries don't "take". I was lucky enough to come across a very heavy front way Birch a few years ago,to represent the type in my motley collection!

Legs

Very nice piece! The legs appear to be of a different make,adapted to fit. Not meaning to hijack the thread,but I've tried the "official way"to enter unusual machines on your website to share with people,but the entries don't "take". I was lucky enough to come across a very heavy front way Birch a few years ago, to represent the type in my motley collection!
You are correct, the legs had been lost and replaced by some reasonable appropriate - well spotted!
I would love to have pictures of your Birch to add to the Archive. Can you send them at a reasonably high resolution, say to 2 to 3 MB each and, if at all possible, with something like a sheet held behind to blank out the background? I struggle to keep up with the email load and you are very welcome to phone: 01298-872874 to let me know you've sent them. My thanks, Tony.

Thanks Tony,I'll ring you once it's back together. It's all in pieces just now,and in red oxide primer having a proper clean and repaint. I think it must be a brass workers lathe,as it has two saddles,coupled by a link. The second saddle carries a hand rest. No sign of a ser no. but I understand it was new to a Rev xyz in Huddersfield in about 1885.

The construction of the bed is very heavily designed with close cross bracing. Most old lathe designs seem to have lighter beds with internal structure an afterthought, perhaps they were anticipating twisting loads.

Thanks Tony,I'll ring you once it's back together. It's all in pieces just now,and in red oxide primer having a proper clean and repaint. I think it must be a brass workers lathe,as it has two saddles,coupled by a link. The second saddle carries a hand rest. No sign of a ser no. but I understand it was new to a Rev xyz in Huddersfield in about 1885.
Thank you Ted, I'll look forward to the pictures.

Back