What's new
What's new

Unknown Hand-Crank Bench Lathe

morestainless

Cast Iron
I haven't been able to find any info on this hand-crank lathe anywhere. Has anybody here seen one before? Says "USA" on it.

20200223_135341.jpg20200223_135332.jpg20200223_135344.jpg20200223_135357.jpg20200223_135403.jpg

Appears to me to be a armature lathe for cutting starter armatures. I have seen many variations(makers) on these over the
years, my guess on value is $15 to $25.

My guess would be a "valve lathe" used in the day prior to "grinding in" automobile engine valves with Cloverleaf grinding compound.

Valve recession was a problem in the era before leaded gasoline causing to a loss of lift, loss of engine power, and need to "reset-re-gap" the valves starting (usually) with making sure the valves were seated properly. MANY manufacturers sold a bench-top unit which the enterprising home mechanic could re-seat his auto valves.

As above, pricing usually less than $25. With leaded or alcohol gas and better materials for valves, and SEATS there is almost no need to grind anymore.

il_794xN.1764222770_rnqb.jpg

This one lists at $170, but I would have no interest at $25. Flea Market finds ABOUND in a market well below Ebay, and Ebay expectations.

Joe in NH
Owner of a 1929 Closed Cab Ford Pickup

My guess would be a "valve lathe" used in the day prior to "grinding in" automobile engine valves with Cloverleaf grinding compound.

Valve recession was a problem in the era before leaded gasoline causing to a loss of lift, loss of engine power, and need to "reset-re-gap" the valves starting (usually) with making sure the valves were seated properly. MANY manufacturers sold a bench-top unit which the enterprising home mechanic could re-seat his auto valves.

As above, pricing usually less than $25. With leaded or alcohol gas and better materials for valves, and SEATS there is almost no need to grind anymore.

il_794xN.1764222770_rnqb.jpg

This one lists at $170, but I would have no interest at $25. Flea Market finds ABOUND in a market well below Ebay, and Ebay expectations.

Joe in NH
Owner of a 1929 Closed Cab Ford Pickup

That would be Clover lapping compound. Valve recession was a problem but it did not cause a loss of lift. As the valve and seat would wear the clearance between the lifter and the end of the valve would go away. This was adjustable by means of an adjusting screw on the lifter prior to hydraulic lifters. As the valve and seat would wear they would start to leak causing a loss of power. A "valve job" did not last long back in the day hence the interest in valve / seat tools on the old days.

Some of the farm tractors would burn a valve every year. I've seen an armature lathe or two like that one. We had one that was different than that where I worked. It didn't have the miter gearing; the crank was attached to the spindle.

Back