What's new
What's new

Unknown tabletop milling machine, please ID

cyware

Plastic
Hello,

I've got an interesting milling machine. I paid for it but I won't get my hands on it before next month.

All I know it's Russian.

It may be a jig borer - I am not sure. It's supposed to be a high precision machine.

Can anyone ID it?

thank you

Attachments

• freza_1.jpg
    freza_1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 441
  • freza_2.jpg
    freza_2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 368
  • freza_3.jpg
    freza_3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 345
  • freza_4.jpg
    freza_4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 317
I agree too it looks like a toolmaker's microscope that has been adapted. It reminds me a bit of the small Leitz jig borers, which has a sister machine that was just a microscope but was very similar nonetheless.

There was a thread here on the Leitz a while back.

What a bummer. I suppose the tool post won't support any side forces then, it actually looks a bit fragile.
Same for the cross table.

With many thanks for your support I was able to find what this "mill" really is and yes, it's a microscope called БМИ-1 (BMI-1)

4wbSBlcQacMQygzm.jpg

That is virtually an exact copy of a British OMT toolmakers microscope. I have one and use it occasionally. When I need it it is a very useful tool. I don't know if the Russsian version is as well made, but suspect not.

For the OP (cyware)-

The critical components with these toolmakers microscopes are the optics. If it was packaged like the OMT version there should be several objective lens assemblies with varying magnifications and at least four different eyepiece/ocular assemblies that measure different things. These should vary from a simple eyepiece with graduations to radius measuring and angle measuring tools. These typically have a separate illumination source to read a very precise optical vernier scale. Along with these will be a power supply for all the illumination sources. You can see a power supply in the photo that Asquith posted.

There will probably be a number of other accessories that add to the functionality. A hood that allows you to use it as a comparator to an accurate scaled drawing like a Shadowgraph, centres for use with shafts and for measuring screw thread profiles, various vee blocks, and a small set of slip gauges for moving the table beyond the range of the X and Y micrometers. You could fabricate or buy replacements for these if you need them, but probably not for the optical asemblies.

I would ask the seller whether they still have any of these for sale. As a milling machine I would say that it might be acceptable for cutting plastics. With the optical parts it could be really useful for the right kind of work.

The seller didn't know his "mill" was a microscope and it was in shock to find out. He also got it from somewhere else.

I was reimbursed; will eventually get a real bench top mill.

It is a pity that a potentially useful tool was broken up in this way, but I am sure you are better off waiting for a proper milling machine rather than one that would have been a real disappointment.

Back