Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Unknown vintage lathe identification

Hello everyone!
    I've just bought a very old precision lathe and im getting crazy trying to identify at least the manufacturer or the year. It has no numbers or letters except "LM" behind the 4" plate. I hope anyone can help me a bit and send me in the right direction because i need to buy, adapt or build the countershaft and the backgear... thank you in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1352.jpg   img_1068.jpg   img_1342.jpg   img_1341.jpg   img_1339.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think serial numbers are frequently stamped on the ways down at the tailstock end.... at least on my Hendey that is where they are.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a very valuable source of information on many makes of old and new lathes. Once you have a maker name, you can look it up here. You can hope that a reader will recognize your lathe and make it easy.

If you want to take the time, you can open each promising maker name (the country is listed with the names) and look for pictures that match your machine. To start, it is helpful to remove some bolts and determine whether the threads and head dimensions match USA, UK or European metric standards.

Machine Tool Archive

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With flat ways and gap, it looks more like British or European.
    I second the suggestion of checking the threads. however, if they are imperial rather than metric, it doesn't excludes that it was made on the Continent.

Paolo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice lathe! You might measure the lathe bed up and compare it to the English Myford or the earlier Drummond lathe. Some versions have a similar flat way bed design and you may be able to fit or modify very common accessories to your lathe.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your replies. I need to spend some time comparing the threats in detail. But i am quite sure they are english threats. For example the plate, has 4 inches diameter and the plate threat is a 3/16" 8 TPI i guess. I send attached some more photos.
    I think its not so difficult to find a countershaft that could fit my lathe, maybe a South Bend 9inch or a similar one, but what should i do to find the right gear set? because i only have the 20(x2), 25, 50 and 60 gears. They are half an inch width and the 50-60 are 65 and 77mm respectively and teeth are 3,5mm deep.img_1332.jpg

I found an ad of a small lathe chuck manufactured by "L.M. Co." (see photo attached) and I wonder if this could be the same manufacturer im looking for because of the LM monogram in my plate. Does any one know something about this company? i didnt find useful information.

Thank you for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1292.jpg   img_1352.jpg   img_1345.jpg   img_1379.jpg